• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first i7 build, so a few questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ditchmagnet

I have posted on another site, but thought i would post here too.
Hi,
This is my first post, and my first build I will be overclocking.

Not all the parts are ordered, just the case and the cpu, and soon the rest.

I wanted to ask if there would be any major problems with my current idea.

CPU: i7 920
Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems
CPU Fans: 2 Ultra Kaze 120mm in push-pull
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
RAM: 3 x 2GB Patriot Viper 1600
Case: NZXT Tempest
PSU: Corsair 650 watt

And I dont think the other details are too important.

My plan is to setup the cooler so that the CPU fans are pushing the air to the top of the case, and having the 2 top case fans as exhaust. I want to use the rear case fan as an intake to send a little more cool are to the CPU. And the side panel as and intake for more cool air to the CPU.

I dont know what to use the front fans as...I am thinking intake...then all my exhaust is going to be at the top of the case, or through the PSU out the back at the bottom.

Any major problems with that?

and if I splice the power lines to the 2 ultra kaze, can I connect them to the CPU cooler pins on the motherboard so that the motherboard controls the CPU fans speed?

Thanks alot.

Sounds great.

If the PSU is going to be at the bottom (assuming you have a BTX case or something like that), then the PSU is only cooling itself, so just ignore the PSU. The heat from the CPU and video cards naturally rises, just as a flame rises, so it makes sense to exhaust at the top of the case, to suck out the heat.

Using the rear case fan as intake to send more cool air to the CPU sounds a great idea. That is what I have been doing, and it worked better for me than using it as exhaust. It reduced case temps by 5 degrees for me. As long as you have enough exhaust somewhere else (especially at the top), it should work great.

Sounds like you have a plan. Best thing to do is just try various configurations and see what works best. Try it with the rear fan as a exhaust and try it as an intake. It only takes a couple minutes to flip it around so just give it a shot and see what happens.

Back