• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Had to do it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MongGrel

Well, I'd always heard how good the TRUE's were and had been eyeballing TRUE coppers ever since they came out, so with the new ram, I had to go and get one to try it out and maybe do a little lapping on stuff and push this thing for all she's got.

God save me from wife agro :)

At least I could tell her I haven't went water yet heh.

:beer:

Last edited:
Well I just ordered it, have to wait on arrival now, hehe. Lets me plot a bit on how to set it up too I guess.

Frig with that thing in here I think this case is gonna weigh about 70 lbs, good thing not a LAN guy hehe.

Last edited:
We have a test with Copper vs. TRUE vs Megahalems on i7 in open stand.
You really need to lap Copper and do a washer mod, put a high RPM fan and then it will truly shine.

attachment.php

Bought it from Xoxide, had never used em but they had one listed at 99 bucks so thought I'd give it a try.

Standard shipping, so might have to wait all week and can plan a bit on a 2 fan setup I guess :)

I've never lapped my home things, but I do a bit of it at work actually and have an offbeat mounting system I'm all ready using from and old Ultra chillTEC setup I might try out. I honestly think the mounting brackets off that TEC cooler where the best thing about the thing with the springs and the backplate and all. That and I also have a padded crossbrace setup from another cooler that I use for the CCTF at the time, so it's a bit of a customized mounting system, I actually took all the clips, etc off of my CCTF and turned it into a base that looks like a TRUE to mount it, and it has evenly applied pressure. So hopefully from the looks of things as far as mounting the true I can just unscrew the thumbscrews and springs on here atm and swap em out.

Just watched that revamped version of the good, the bad and the ugly the other nite, my cpu cooler mounting system kinda reminds me of the Mexican guy putting the pistol together in the store, hehe.

Gonna be fun sticking another fan on there seeing what can do with it, allready have a Thermaltake A2018 2800 RPM 90 CFM+ fan with a manual setup on it on the CCTF I can put on there and push, and the CCTF fan that it came with is a pretty nice 2000 or so RPM 90 CFM MFDB fan in the same range. I atually wired tied the controller for that baby through the water cooling grommets in the rear of the case for that controller, it fit perfect and was nice that it did as no accesable slots left open back there. I can add that to the backside to pull, I have been using in the side window.

I usually don't run em max anyways just turn em up till they start getting a bit pesky then back it off a little.

I have a good stock tri-cool that came with the case I can put in the side window then.

So I'll have two high speed manual dial controllable fans that are all ready kinda modded into this case on that baby then.

See if I can push this whole rig a bit more :)

Last edited:
and some extra brackets for holding the thing up lol. i've heard of fishing line since it's clear for the most part.

How much did you pay and where did you order it from? Im debating on getting one.But frist im gonna relap my regular TRUE and do the pressure mod(add a washer)+ i just bought some Shin-Etsu G-751 Thermal Compound(it came yesterday) because its suppose to be the best.After all ths if im still not happy with my temps im gonna try the copper TRUE.If my temps dont improve with these mods or the Copper TRUE im gonna stop overclocking seriously.It will be back to OEM mobo's..lol

Shin-Etsu G-751 Thermal Compound
http://www.svc.com/g-751.html

Last edited:
But frist im gonna relap my regular TRUE and do the pressure mod(add a washer

I have heard of the washer mod but never have seen it documented. Does it really help? I have also heard that too much pressure can break/crack the MB. So I have been hesitant doing this mod.

I have heard of the washer mod but never have seen it documented. Does it really help? I have also heard that too much pressure can break/crack the MB. So I have been hesitant doing this mod.
I had it pessure modded for a while and it seem to help.I forget by how much now because this was on my E8600 and that thing ran hot and it was a while ago.But i know it did help

It is supposed to really help. There was a member (apologize for not remembering his name) but he said that he was using his sink with the pushpins and just to show how important the bolt through was, he laid his case on its side and put a 5lb weight on the heatsink. He dropped like 15 degrees.
I remember that but dont remember who it was either.And the search shows nothing:argue:

I think the mounting setup I have here all ready looks stronger that the one the True ships with, a personalized bolt through I guess. Ill find out when it gets here.

But I have access to a wide variety of springs myself, so if I really need to I might stick some heavier ones on rather then compress them more. Which is basically what a washer mod is doing, but that makes me a bit nervous to be honest. Springs are made to function at weights over their whole length and compression, compressing them more than they are design too can really increase the pressure fast. I'd rather maybe put heavier springs and keep pressure applied evenly myself, rather than possible over compress at the center of the CPU.

Heck, stick some die springs on there and flatten the CPU maybe. J/K :p I'm worried about putting too much pressure there myself, I think I'm all ready pretty heavily torqued down on the CPU and the MOBO.

Yeah will definetly have to make some kind of retention bracket for that thing.

*edit* was reading Navig's True copper review on here and like those plastic 120MM fans housings so figured WTH and got a couple of those for these fans, might actually try to screw into those for a support thing. Maybe even just epoxy a couple long pieces of 1/4 x1/4 phenolic or G-10 or something to em to be simple down the the bottom of the case. Have to figure something out that looks good :)

They look they attach nice and sturdy to the heatsink, I never liked spring clips myself a lot as he said, and will look a bit snazzier I guess.

Last edited:
Shipped today, be here Thursday, but they didn't ship my fan housing's, heh.

Oh well maybe tomorrow and get here Friday, I'm planning on making it an over the weekend project and trying to do it all properly, so what these babies can do. If nothing else Ill use the springs to try things out.

Dude, you guys are runnin' these things at 70c+? I would so not feel comfortable at those kinds of temps. You guys are nuts.

I had bid on one of the True Coppers on ebay, got sniped, so decided to buy a meg from the Jab-tech ebay store.

j
the one that sold for $75.I was bidding to..lol but got side tracked and lost it.Plus with what the guy wanted for shipping i figured i could find a new one for about the same

Well, this baby finally arrived you just do not realise the weight in your head till you actually pick one up :eek:

Time to start lapping, looks nice :)

Shouldn't be too bad the bottom of this one looks pretty good to start with.

Back