• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A quick fan question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aphellyon

Hi guys, any of you know if these fans are any good?

http://www.svc.com/b-flexi120.html

They are bluegears B-FLEXI120s. I like the titanium chrome look and was thinking about slapping 'em on a MCR320, but thought it would be wise to seek info/opinion first.

TIA

I've never seen them before, but the Cfm to Db ratio seems pretty poor.... I'd wait to see what others have to say about them.

pretty low flo, and a brand i've never used/heard of.....I like to use higher cfm fans with a controller since it is essentially the same as a lower flo fan when tuned down, but the power is there if yuo need it

Last edited:
Never heard of them either but you're gonna need a little faster fan to get the most from your MCR320. It works well with medium speed fans and those are lowspeed ones. Yate Loons are what lots of people use for rads around here. They are inexpensive and work very well. They don't come in Chrome titanium though.

Axis

Yea, almost defeats the purpose of getting thin rads... I wonder what 6 of these would sound like.

90 cfm at 19 db A? Thats gets a laugh outta me! Look deep into what db A means. It's NOT the same as db.

From a Newegg reviewer

"The fans are rated at 2000 RPM/90 CFM/19 DBA. COOLER MASTER told me the 19 DBA rating is for a different speed, and they told me the DBA rating for 2000 RPM. So it is really 2000 RPM/90 CFM/23 DBA and 1800 RPM/69.69 CFM/19 DBA when turned down. Still very good. Better than the Antec TriCool fans which are rated at 2000 RPM/80 CFM and some very high DBA rating, since they are LOUD."

So again your trusting what the manu says, not a user test............

Might be a decent fan. Even tho it's a typical lie about noise.

What kind of air flow should I be going for with the MCRs? I thought they were opt around 30-50cfms and didn't improve much with higher cfm fans.

Last edited:
we hear decibal "a" the same as "b" or "c", its just filtered of a level of noise unhearable by the human ear, other than that, the audible volume as it appears to the human ear is the same

" dB A, dB C

units of sound intensity, exactly like the decibel except that before the measurement is made sounds of high and low frequencies, heard poorly or not at all by the human ear, have been filtered out. The letters A and C refer to two filtering methods

http://www.srgclub.org/db.html

Look at this test.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171661
Scroll down to the medium speed test fans, post 3.
At 1 meter, dbA weighting. Open air, no rad at all.

Look at the SilenX 90CFM at 18DBA. Or in fact any fan on this list. None come close to 90 CFM and none are below 22 db.

The BEST fan is at 75 CFM at over 34 dbA.

Even the low speed open air tests don't hit under 21 dbA.

Just never ever trust what the manu says. Thats all I'm saying. No matter what they are using as filters. 90 CFM at 19 dbA is a joke.

Last edited:
i second the yate loons. i run 12 high speed ones on my rads but run them at 5v not 12v. they are quiet and work great.

we hear decibal "a" the same as "b" or "c", its just filtered of a level of noise unhearable by the human ear, other than that, the audible volume as it appears to the human ear is the same

" dB A, dB C

units of sound intensity, exactly like the decibel except that before the measurement is made sounds of high and low frequencies, heard poorly or not at all by the human ear, have been filtered out. The letters A and C refer to two filtering methods

http://www.srgclub.org/db.html

It is IMPOSSIBLE to pump out 90CFM from a 120mm fan at 23db, unless you're measuring from across the room, and even then it would have to be pretty big room. Just the sound of the air moving makes more noise than that. Yate Loon and Scythe are pretty close on their CFM and db ratings so if you find one you like that quotes numbers close to theirs, then it's probably true.

Axis

well i can tell you for sure what the outcome is tomorrow as i am getting the fans at work, and we have a db meter there, so i will turn the fans on full in an otherwise silent room and see what the real deal is

Yea, the YLs seem to be the std choice these days... and I like the idea of under-volting high speed fans, as long as they're quiet enough at low/med speed. But I'll go back to my earlier question... what's the ideal flow I should be shooting for with a MCR320? I'll be using two, each in a separate loop... one for an oc'd i7 and another for an sli loop. Fan noise and aesthetics will be important, since both rads will be externally mounted on an open air case. I would be willing to comp on noise though... if it made a significant difference for the oc.

I'm a little confused on the low/med/high scale. I thought 50cfm was med, (based on the water cooling buyers parts guide over on eoc forum).... but noticed vapor has the med range at 60-80cfm in his fan tests over at xsf.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys.

80% sure it was the eoc forum that had a review for which rad works best with said cfm and he/she messed up on the cfm's for the swiftech rad.

but that aside it sounds like we will have the same setup (rads, external, and wanting to undervolt)

i'm going to turn off my pc and take a video of my fans from where i sit and give you an idea of noise.

low medium high is subjective to the individual and is not actually defined .

you have a general concensus that says within certain ranges but there is no finite definition

while thorilan is right about sound, this should give a general idea on how 12 high speed yates on 2 mcr320's sound.

now, during the video there is only the yate loons and the 1 psu fan, which is practically silent.

Back