• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Boot and torrent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC101

Is there a way to have Vuze to resume the downloading of torrent where it was left off after switch the OS on a Dual Boot computer?

To make it more clear...
I got half downloaded torrents in my WinXP Pro, I'd like to resume the download after switch to Win7 RC. And back and forth. How do I do that?

I think it should work if your torrent client uses the same download directory in both O/Ss.

All you need to do is have the torrent client on each and then download the .torrent file on each OS. Then when you load it on either OS, it will actually check the file to see what info it has and doesn't have. So if you started Dling half of it in XP, just install uTorrent on Win7 and then download the .torrent file and make sure you point it to the same place where the currently half downloaded file is, and it will check the whole thing and should end up at the same percent at which it was left off in XP. :thup:

All you need to do is have the torrent client on each and then download the .torrent file on each OS. Then when you load it on either OS, it will actually check the file to see what info it has and doesn't have. So if you started Dling half of it in XP, just install uTorrent on Win7 and then download the .torrent file and make sure you point it to the same place where the currently half downloaded file is, and it will check the whole thing and should end up at the same percent at which it was left off in XP. :thup:

It worked.

I didn't think it was that easy. When I googled the info, everyone was saying it would start a new copy of downloading while ignore the half done files. I guess maybe the latest updates changed that.

It worked. I did save all the torrent files in a folder. All I did was to click on them again in Win7, they auto recheck the progress and resumed where it was left off in WinXP. So easy.

Thank you

I have another question.
It seems that when I turn off Vuze, or even the computer, my DSL modem and router still have the traffic light flash like crazy for hours on even when none of the computers on my network is turned on. I never noticed this until this week after I reinstalled OS on my computer... and obviously reinstalled Vuze as well, as well as reset the Vuze settings.
What does that mean? I first worry someone might be using my wireless connection for free which is very secure in my opinion. Then I noticed it always only happen if I had Vuze turned on earlier. Uh?

Last edited:
It worked.

I didn't think it was that easy. When I googled the info, everyone was saying it would start a new copy of downloading while ignore the half done files. I guess maybe the latest updates changed that.

It worked. I did save all the torrent files in a folder. All I did was to click on them again in Win7, they auto recheck the progress and resumed where it was left off in WinXP. So easy.

Thank you

I have another question.
It seems that when I turn off Vuze, or even the computer, my DSL modem and router still have the traffic light flash like crazy for hours on even when none of the computers on my network is turned on. I never noticed this until this week after I reinstalled OS on my computer... and obviously reinstalled Vuze as well, as well as reset the Vuze settings.
What does that mean? I first worry someone might be using my wireless connection for free. Then I noticed it always only happen if I had Vuze turned on earlier. Uh?

Yeah, with bittorrent, there's a TON of incoming and outgoing requests. Well those requests keep coming in for a good while before they timeout on the other side

That is the beauty of how torrents work. They self-correct with data-packet hashes/CRC and the .torrent file gives a set of hashes, filenames, and lists of servers to work with to talk to everyone else. Just point one client to the spot you were downloading to and it will continue. It really is an efficient and failsafe method of transfer, provided there are enough seeds and peers for whatever you are getting. As far as to the second question, it was already answered. Even after you disconnect from a torrent, it will be a while until both the server drops you from its list of current Peers, as well as before you are timed out in remote client's list of peers (in the case of DHT, or trackerless torrenting).
How are you liking Windows 7 versus XP? Ready for the final release come October 22nd?

That is the beauty of how torrents work. They self-correct with data-packet hashes/CRC and the .torrent file gives a set of hashes, filenames, and lists of servers to work with to talk to everyone else. Just point one client to the spot you were downloading to and it will continue. It really is an efficient and failsafe method of transfer, provided there are enough seeds and peers for whatever you are getting. As far as to the second question, it was already answered. Even after you disconnect from a torrent, it will be a while until both the server drops you from its list of current Peers, as well as before you are timed out in remote client's list of peers (in the case of DHT, or trackerless torrenting).
How are you liking Windows 7 versus XP? Ready for the final release come October 22nd?

:beer:

Back