• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

telboy77

Hello everybody. I am soon to embark on building a new PC which will be used for home theatre and video editing. Here are the component's I am considering:

Motherboard: Asus M4A78T-E

Processor: AMD Phenom II 955 3200ghz

Ram: Corsair Dominator DHX 4gb 1600mhz

Hard drive's: Caviar black 500gb, Caviar green 1tb

Case: Antec Sonata III 500

I will also be adding a blue-ray burner of which I haven't decided yet.

Anyway, please feel free to contribute with any recommendation's or constructive criticism. I really like the look of the sonata case. My only concern is ventilation may not be adequate. Does anyone have any opinion's on this? Thanks in advance.

Hello and thank you for welcoming to the forum. I was referring to air flow within the case. I've read a few review's on the sonata III. Some state that over heating could be a potential issue with powerful set-up's because there is only one fan installed and only room to add one more. I won't be using this PC for gaming, only video editing. Therefore I'm inclined to think that over heating won't be an issue. Although, I would like the opinion's of people more knowledgeable than I.

If you're concerned about airflow, look into the Antec Nine Hundred (~$100) or CoolerMaster HAF 922 (~$130). Both are Mid-Towers with great airflow.

Thanks for the recommendation's. Does anyone have any opinion's on the component's I have chosen? I have done considerable research, but I value the opinion of others.

hey telboy77,

i just recently finished my first ever build with that processor. i chose to go with the Antec 902 case because of the fan filters mostly. My house gets very dusty.

on the ram, i have seen some people suggest this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227447

it is low voltage, i guess that is why some people suggest it.
i went with a slightly different model of OCZ ram that runs the same timings but it is 1.9 volts. i didnt know about the AMD edition.

how are you gonna setup your hard drives?
500 for OS?
1TB for storage?

Thanks for the suggestion on the RAM. I might go for that instead.
Yes. The hard drives will be set up as you stated. 500gb for OS, 1tb for storage.

I've finally decided which component's I'm going to buy:

Motherboard: Asus M4A78T-E

Processor: AMD Phenom II 955, 3200ghz

Ram: OCZ Platinum edition 4gb, 1600mhz

Hard drive's: Caviar Black 500gb, Caviar Green 1tb

Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper TX3

Case: Antec Sonata III 500

Does anyone have any opinion's or suggestion's before I spend my hard earned money? Thanks in advance.

There's nothing wrong with the Sonata III. Its the older design with the PSU on the top as opposed to on the bottom. I built my wife's computer using the Antec 300. Real simple and easy. I would buy that one and spend the deference on a better PSU like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
79.99 after MIR and both are free shipping. If you stay with the Sonata buy some of thes for your HDDs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812264003
Doesn't matter the brand. just make sure they have at least one 90° end.
And a 120 mm front fan to keep air moving thru the case.

Back