• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New WD5000AAKS help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hatchermagis

Registered
Right i have a bit of a problem, just purchased a brand new Western digital wd5000aaks 16mb cache, 500gb hardrive. so i hooked it up to my motherboard which is a ga-ep45-ud3r and went i boot the system my mobo beeps, i had a look in the bios and it doesnt even register my hardrive. i have tried various sata cables and have tryed different slots and still no luck. im a bit gutted as it set me back 70 quid. weird thing is my other hardrive works perfectly fine. Please offer any help on my issue cheers

Hatcher

well if u just bought a new HD, and it dont work.. U tried multiple cables and multiple sata ports, and no go. Also u tried another HD and it worked.. Then the WD5000AAKS is ur problem

Does there happen to be a jumper on the drive to set the drive to SATA1.5Gb/s or SATA3.0Gb/s? If there is, maybe a SATA1.5 setting could be fouling things up with the newer drive controllers(?). Otherwise, sounds like you got a bad electronics on the drive, even though it may be felt or heard to spin up when powered.

sigh, thanks for your replies i just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing anything as i have never installed a brand new drive. i read reviews and the WD seemed to be pretty solid, mind you im reluctant to by another thanks for your help.

Back