• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some info needed for gfx card..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psionic98

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums posting, but have been reading for well over a year. Just never really had information to give or questions to ask! So my problem is that I own a Gateway (wifes idea of a good pc) and its about 3 years old.. specs are 3800+ athlon, 2gig kingston ram, 7600 256 gfx, 300w standard psu, win xp sp3.

So within lies my problem. I plan on building a new pc, but not for about 6months since its not my top priority right now. I have a crappy 300w psu, though I heard most standard ones on dells/gateways are pretty rock solid and can stand the stress.

What I need is a new gfx card to hold out for about 6 months give or take. I'd rather not spend a ton since this system will not be used for much more than my kids pc for learning when he grows up. I've been poking around and saw some posts on another site claiming that the radeon 4650 can run on a 300w psu (they said they owned a dell) though i think the specs call for a 350 or 400w.. so thats worrysome.

Is there something out there compareable or better than a 7600 that can work on my psu? I like playing some of the newest games when i can, even if I need to suffer on low settings.. Most of the games I play are cod4-5, wow, tried the new GTA but card wouldnt do it.. and a few others.

I don't have a problem getting ATI or NVIDIA as long as it will play these games and maybe some new ones coming up on at least low-med settings. I'd really rather not upgrade PSU and graphics card since I don't really want to spend more than 75ish.

Any help is appreciated! I think I saw a 4650 for about 50bucks which is about what I'd like to pay.

Yes the 4650 has a TPD of 70W which should be doable with your PSU. Comparable nvidia cards use more power.

Would I be able to oc the card any, like a modest 5-10%?

Which would actually work too.. I know theres a ddr3 model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141080 but usually ddr3 cards require a power connector, which i dont see on here.. or would any ddr2 be better option... also 512 or 1gb? I never used an ATI card so im totally clueless.

Thanks much

Last edited:
Go with the DDR3 and 512MB card: there is not enough speed to run resolutions that make 1GB usable imho

Back