• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Hydro H50

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandyduff

Great Scot! Member
Well in my scouring of the internet looking for a good cooler for my upcoming i7 rig... i came across the Hydro H50... looks pretty nifty, effectively a mini water loop...

Altho, i cant imagine it will have the most powerful pump in the world, how well do you guys reckon this will do...?

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/news/3955

Well in my scouring of the internet looking for a good cooler for my upcoming i7 rig... i came across the Hydro H50... looks pretty nifty, effectively a mini water loop...

Altho, i cant imagine it will have the most powerful pump in the world, how well do you guys reckon this will do...?

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/news/3955

Let me be the first to suggest, you build it yourself and start from scratch. The money you'll save + performance gain over that will be massive.

I'd also never want my pump mounted directly to my CPU, that's more vibration than I'd like.

Interesting... I cant afford to do a water loop anyway, but i can afford high end air... but this caught my eye and made me go "hmmmmm...."

I read reviews ages ago that NorthQ made something similair to this and it wasn't too bad... not as good as proper water cooling but up there with high end air... il be awaiting proper reviews to see how it stacks up against high end air coolers...

And on top of the vibration of the pump, the pump produces the most heat in the whole loop. That leads me to ask the question why they would mount that next to the heat source it is trying to cool.

Let me be the first to suggest, you build it yourself and start from scratch. The money you'll save + performance gain over that will be massive.

I'd also never want my pump mounted directly to my CPU, that's more vibration than I'd like.

Money saved? That is going to retail for 79$. My setup for basic parts was almost 400$ with a fan controller.

That is exactly why im looking at high end air and this... just need to wait for reviews!!

Plus what it would cost him to build his own loop after he realized this was crap.

I will wait for credible reviews before doing any purchasing dont you worry... i read lots of different reviews before buying ANY component... im still undecided on what x58 mobo to get...

Plus what it would cost him to build his own loop after he realized this was crap.

It would at least perform up to spec with a good air cooler, and even if it didn't, he would get what he paid for.

Again, it depends on how it turns out. I wouldn't buy it if it was garbage, but if it performed on par with a good air cooler it'd be worth every penny. A true with 2 yate loons would cost about the same, and be louder, I'd wager. If it performed the same, guess which one I'd get?

Hell, I might get one if it does turn out good. I wouldn't mind having my second box being water cooled, to be truthful. :)

It would at least perform up to spec with a good air cooler, and even if it didn't, he would get what he paid for.

Again, it depends on how it turns out. I wouldn't buy it if it was garbage, but if it performed on par with a good air cooler it'd be worth every penny. A true with 2 yate loons would cost about the same, and be louder, I'd wager. If it performed the same, guess which one I'd get?

Hell, I might get one if it does turn out good. I wouldn't mind having my second box being water cooled, to be truthful. :)

I imagine it would do, the cheaper NorthQ variant did well against air coolers, except it just wasnt as good as the top end heatsinks... again, like you said... get what you pay for as it is cheaper than the top end air coolers...

This corsair number is priced slightly more than the top end air coolers... so if going on price it should perform at LEAST as good as a TRUE, if not... im getting a TRUE... :D

I got my entire water setup for under $100 in the classifieds. Water doesn't have to be insanely expensive, and it certainly doesn't have to be retail. Sure, my setup isn't insane, but if it can keep my quad cool at speeds of up to 3.8Ghz, really how much more would one need? Just buy used parts for a loop and it'll work fine.

I got my entire water setup for under $100 in the classifieds. Water doesn't have to be insanely expensive, and it certainly doesn't have to be retail. Sure, my setup isn't insane, but if it can keep my quad cool at speeds of up to 3.8Ghz, really how much more would one need? Just buy used parts for a loop and it'll work fine.

Some people aren't allowed into the classified, and also prefer to buy new.:bang head

I would steer clear of that Hydro unit and get something else. If you're dead set on a self contained unit for watercooling, then I would suggest the CoolIT SYSTEMS Domino A.L.C .

A few members here had them. And tho it did'nt perform spectacular, it did, however, did pretty good.

Not sure if the Swiftech H20-220 series will work on the i7. You may have to purchase the GTZ's 1366 mounting plate/adapter for your board.

My personal suggestion: Build your own. You'll save money in the end and it'll be upgradeable. Plus you'll learn first hand all there is to know about watercooling ;)

Money saved? That is going to retail for 79$. My setup for basic parts was almost 400$ with a fan controller.

two words:

OCforums Classifieds.

Here's a quick setup for you that would blow that corsair setup out of the water:

Apogee GT Waterblock $30 shipped

MCP 650 Pump $15 shipped

Black Ice Xtreme III Radiator $30 shipped (and a fillport for $3 in the same thread)

All you gotta do is buy tubing, and a T-connecotr (won't cost you more than $20 in total) and you got a full watercooling setup, for ~$98

Some people aren't allowed into the classified, and also prefer to buy new.:bang head

I'm pretty sure Sandy's allowed in there. and if you want to throw away more money, to gain less performance but be able to call your parts "new" well that's entirely up to you. I just don't see the logic behind it.

I'm pretty sure Sandy's allowed in there. and if you want to throw away more money, to gain less performance but be able to call your parts "new" well that's entirely up to you. I just don't see the logic behind it.

Throw away money? I suppose that's a fair statement to make. But it's my personal preference. :)

two words:

OCforums Classifieds.

Here's a quick setup for you that would blow that corsair setup out of the water:

Apogee GT Waterblock $30 shipped

MCP 650 Pump $15 shipped

Black Ice Xtreme III Radiator $30 shipped (and a fillport for $3 in the same thread)

All you gotta do is buy tubing, and a T-connecotr (won't cost you more than $20 in total) and you got a full watercooling setup, for ~$98

That's a good price. But I still prefer to buy new. Plus my setup would beat that anyway. :p

Throw away money? I suppose that's a fair statement to make. But it's my personal preference. :)

That's a good price. But I still prefer to buy new. Plus my setup would beat that anyway. :p

well yeah, but cmon the price difference is $300 lol.

I understand that some people just like their equipment new, they feel safer or whatever. It's just I don't understand why someone would sacrifice all that performance (in the case of the hydro), just to have a "new" solution.

To each his own I guess, I'm just bringing up an alternative, and let's be honest, who can argue the Hydro over my suggested setup (performance or price-wise)

well yeah, but cmon the price difference is $300 lol.

I understand that some people just like their equipment new, they feel safer or whatever. It's just I don't understand why someone would sacrifice all that performance (in the case of the hydor), just to have a "new" solution.

To each his own I guess, I'm just bringing up an alternative, and let's be honest, who can argue the Hydor over my suggested setup (performance or price-wise)

Did you buy the parts in this thread for your WC used?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=572958

Did you buy the parts in this thread for your WC used?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=572958

yep :), only new parts I bought was the new waterblock that I replaced the old with (It only cost like $30 anyway). The rads were open-box and nobody was selling a GX2 cooler on classies (that really hit my budget, costing over $150!!)

The pump/alphacool top/old cpu block/coils/some barbs were all used.

edit: not to mention my PSU/Motherboard/cpu/GPU(s)/RAM were used too :D

yep :), only new parts I bought was the new waterblock that I replaced the old with (It only cost like $30 anyway). The rads were open-box and nobody was selling a GX2 cooler on classies (that really hit my budget, costing over $150!!)

The pump/alphacool top/old cpu block/coils/some barbs were all used.

I guess I'm comfortable knowing my new parts didn't cause a leak.

Back