• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Harddrive / Disk Access Monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
So sometimes in my Gentoo KDE4 install, it access my hard disk like crazy for a few minutes. It makes the system almost unresponsive. It's not the built in indexer because it's happened while that is disabled, and even when it's enabled, that will show up as idle. I've checked with ksysguard and top for process, but it's always only fah taking most of the cpu and firefox, pidgin, ksysguard and some other bouncing between 0-5% each. So I'm not exactly sure what is accessing the disk. Does anyone know of a monitor, that tracks disk access? Or shows it in realtime?

Thanks

iostat is neat, but since it doesn't show the process, it's not really what I was looking for.

The rrdtool probably was what I was looking for. However, when I googling for a gentoo setup guide, one of the results had a person in a similar situation to me. Someone told him to check his cron jobs. So when I checked mine, there is updatedb on the daily cron. That is whats causing this hard drive access I can almost guarentee it. I left it for now, but I think I'll move it to the weekly cron job.

iostat is neat, but since it doesn't show the process, it's not really what I was looking for.

The rrdtool probably was what I was looking for. However, when I googling for a gentoo setup guide, one of the results had a person in a similar situation to me. Someone told him to check his cron jobs. So when I checked mine, there is updatedb on the daily cron. That is whats causing this hard drive access I can almost guarentee it. I left it for now, but I think I'll move it to the weekly cron job.

IOTOP is exactly what you want

Back