• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The bad points of summer!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

The things I'm having to do, just to keep my PC cool this summer!

IMG_0299.jpg

Anyone else having to go to these lengths because of the weather??

My PC generates so much heat it gets up to 85+ IN MY ROOM with AC set to 73 and with 3 fans on full to cool the room. I sleep in the basement (60F) at night, besides my bed has hard drives on it!

85c?? What gets that hot (CPU, GPU)?

Not the components in the computer, just the total heat output of the computer heats the room to a temperature of 85*.

I have my computer in the basement with a dehumidifier (for my comfort) and the air set to 68* so i have no issues.

I feel your pain. Our office is in the third floor of our townhouse in very hot North Carolina. Since we try to save a tiny bit on the power bill by turning the a/c temp up during the day, ambient temps can swing as much as 5c between the hottest part of the day and night time. Thank goodness for water cooling. :D

Funny you should say that. I am just looking at water cooling parts right now. :D

I feel your pain. Our office is in the third floor of our townhouse in very hot North Carolina. Since we try to save a tiny bit on the power bill by turning the a/c temp up during the day, ambient temps can swing as much as 5c between the hottest part of the day and night time. Thank goodness for water cooling. :D

Thanks for the link. I havn't water cooled a PC before but I am confident I could make a good job of it. I'm not sure witch route I would take, Cool just the CPU or go the all the way and cool the GPU(s) aswell. Suppose just CPU cooling would be a start. And I really don't want to buy a new GPU water block everytime I upgrade my GPU(s).

That's why I got the MCW-60 (as long as swiftech/sidewinder fixes the missing adapter problem). Works on all kinds of GPUs, you just need RAM/MOSFET sinks when you get a new GPU. :)

You know its bad when I shut down my folding clients. We have been trying to save on the power bill by not running the a/c, but we couldn't tolerate it when it got to be 90*F in the house. My current case is FTL as far as cooling goes, and actually took my quad up to 75*C while folding :eek:, and I didn't even look at the GPU. Luckily I have an Antec 900 on the way and it should be here tomorrow.:clap:

I have to stop folding in the summer! Cant use crazy overclocks either. Im sad because I have a couple 4890s coming next week and I wanna crank em up. I may have to take my rig downstairs.

Back