• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1TB WD Black & Win7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quigsby

Hello,

It looks like my hard drive is fairly slow in Windows 7 64-bit. Here's the machine:
Gigabyte X58-UD4P
Core i7 @ 3Ghz
6GB of 1600 RAM
WD 1TB Cavair Black
HIS 4890

I ran HD Tune on my machine (Rig 2, running XP 32-bit) which has a 640GB WD Blue attached and I got these transfer rates:
Code:
Minimum: 59.4 MB/sec
Maximum: 122.2 MB/sec
Average: 99.9 MB/sec
Access Time: 11.9 ms
Burst Rate: 146.8 MB/sec
CPU Usage: 2.2%

Running HD Tune on the new machine (above) which has the 1TB WD Black attached received these:
Code:
Minimum: 38.0 MB/sec
Maximum: 106.4 MB/sec
Average: 86.2 MB/sec
Access Time: 12.4 ms
Burst Rate: 142.3 MB/sec
CPU Usage: -1.0%

Is it just the fact that the OS is not that mature that I can expect better numbers on an 'inferior' product? I know I'm sort of dealing with Apples and Oranges when I talk 640 vs 1TB, but it shouldn't be that far off. I'm using Windows 7 RC, fresh install on the new machine. I haven't installed the RAID drivers on it since I don't have RAID installed but I'm wondering would it help? I didn't see a 3GB jumper on that 1TB drive (WD1001FALS). Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Back