• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 939 System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent_Mull

I still have the system in my sig after several years. It still works great and plays most of the games I want to play very well. I'd love to sell it off and upgrade, but I want to save my money.

Anyways, my current cooling setup is this:
-2 Thermaltake TT-1225 fans; one as a front intake and one as a blowhole ontop.
-Thermalright XP-90 heatsink and a Panaflo FBA09A12U fan.

Since I'm not going to be upgrading for a while, I want to get back into overclocking and squeeze a little bit more of performance out of this computer. My full load temp (Prime 95, Inplace Large FFTs, Overclocked to 2160mhz) is around 53C. Is there anything I can do to easily make my computer cooler?

Last edited:
Pull the side panel off your case and point a desk fan in there and see if your temps drop signifcantly. If so, you need to improve your case flow.

What volts are you running to the opty? Too much voltage just cranks up the temp. I had a 165 back in the day with an xp90 and OCed it to 2.65ghz, temps fully loaded ~55C. Was sorely disapointed that it could never hit 3.0ghz stable regardless of the voltage I cranked to it, figured it was a bum chip.

I still have the system in my sig after several years. It still works great and plays most of the games I want to play very well. I'd love to sell it off and upgrade, but I want to save my money.

Anyways, my current cooling setup is this:
-2 Thermaltake TT-1225 fans; one as a front intake and one as a blowhole ontop.
-Thermalright XP-90 heatsink and a Panaflo FBA09A12U fan.

Since I'm not going to be upgrading for a while, I want to get back into overclocking and squeeze a little bit more of performance out of this computer. My full load temp (Prime 95, Inplace Large FFTs, Overclocked to 2160mhz) is around 53C. Is there anything I can do to easily make my computer cooler?

939 cpu's are still plenty fast enough bot very much so hold back the latest cards. My 3dmark vantage score for example, didn't change from an 8800GTS, a 9800GTX, or a 260 core 216. (8800GTS just got recently as a replacement for it's old 7600GT from a forum member, 9800GTX was initial upgrade but it was dying, and 260 is the card I finally kept).

At 3 gigawidgets, no less! :D

Last edited:
Pull the side panel off your case and point a desk fan in there and see if your temps drop signifcantly. If so, you need to improve your case flow.

What volts are you running to the opty? Too much voltage just cranks up the temp. I had a 165 back in the day with an xp90 and OCed it to 2.65ghz, temps fully loaded ~55C. Was sorely disapointed that it could never hit 3.0ghz stable regardless of the voltage I cranked to it, figured it was a bum chip.
I just went to ~2400mhz and bumped the voltage up to 1.425 after it failed prime95 at stock voltages. My temps now are fluctuating between 54-60c.

And is that cooler Charlie linked to better than my Thermalright XP-90?

Last edited:
I just ordered the freezer. I may end up drilling a new side vent in my wood case if this doesn't cool it enough.

Just had a quick look at your thread for the Wood Case... very nice craftsmanship. There is lots of space on the back panel for an exhaust fan... may want to consider cutting one into there.

Back