• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Cooling???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The most popular ram cooler is the Corsair Dominator . I have 2 of them (one on each of my pc's) and they work great.

OCZ has a ram cooler , but because of the pin hole grill design I would think it suffocates the fans and you don't get enough airflow from it. It does look nice with blue led's, but performance is poor compaired to the Corsair.

The most popular ram cooler is the Corsair Dominator . I have 2 of them (one on each of my pc's) and they work great.

OCZ has a ram cooler , but because of the pin hole grill design I would think it suffocates the fans and you don't get enough airflow from it. It does look nice with blue led's, but performance is poor compaired to the Corsair.

Surprisingly it doesn't. It cooled my chipset and my RAM.

How big is the Corsair cooler? My Sunbeam CPU cooler is directly adjacent to the memory. If the Corsair hangs over even an 1/8", it won't work due to clearance issues. Can it stay within the constraints of the 4 memory slots?

Actually the Corsair isn't as wide as the 4 ram slots. It's less than 2 inches wide so you have plenty of clearance with it.

It mounts to the ram clips and it's height is 2 1/2 inches from the ram modules.

I can take a pic of mine so you can see if you like. It'll give you a general idea of the clearance.

I'm probably going to grab a dominator in the near future. I have no qualms with putting either one on my second PC. :)

How good do all these coolers mount? Is it wobbly when they're installed? i want one that relaly holds on good. :0

Actually the Corsair isn't as wide as the 4 ram slots. It's less than 2 inches wide so you have plenty of clearance with it.

It mounts to the ram clips and it's height is 2 1/2 inches from the ram modules.

I can take a pic of mine so you can see if you like. It'll give you a general idea of the clearance.

Man, if you wouldn't mind, it'd really be appreciated.

Man, if you wouldn't mind, it'd really be appreciated.

Here you go. I took the stickers off, but it's the Corsair :)

How good do all these coolers mount? Is it wobbly when they're installed? i want one that relaly holds on good. :0

It clips on the ram clips tight. No wiggle or wobble here. Trust me, it holds nice and snug ;)

Last edited:
Just a qyestion, but what do you get differently with these? Like were you able to bump ram voltage enough to get an oc' stable, or did you simply want a ram cooler?

The object of the ram cooler is to keep the ram modules cool when ocing them. There are some ram modules that remain cool with xtra voltage/speed, but there are others that heat up.

My Gskills ( both sets) get quite warm when I'm ramping them up. Would'nt hurt to keep them cool would'nt you say? The cooler they are, the happier they are :)

The object of the ram cooler is to keep the ram modules cool when ocing them. There are some ram modules that remain cool with xtra voltage/speed, but there are others that heat up.

My Gskills ( both sets) get quite warm when I'm ramping them up. Would'nt hurt to keep them cool would'nt you say? :)

Well, it is better to keep most parts in a computer cool, but I don't really see the point if you don't have any issues with your ram. Also, would it just be more economical to buy better case fans with that money and then help cool ALL the parts in your rig?

Well, it is better to keep most parts in a computer cool, but I don't really see the point if you don't have any issues with your ram. Also, would it just be more economical to buy better case fans with that money and then help cool ALL the parts in your rig?

Well... Along those lines...

I have two 250mm fans that came with the case. Another 120mm in the back of the case I added. all fans blow into the case.

The case has 10 rows of 3/16" holes along the top edge of the side of the case that the MB mounts to. These holes run the length of the case. There are also holes above the PS to help remove more heat.

I have a 'breeze' coming out of these holes at all times.

You can see photos here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...Computer Case With Side Panel Window - Retail

My memory and NB, when O/C'd to 3.6GHz are reading 50C based on an Infrared Thermometer I use to shoot tire temps at the track. At 3.5MHz, I'm only seeing 45C.

I'm wondering if I'm hitting a heat wall. This is an economical solution to see if it's a heat wall, or the MB.

Well yes and no. Better cooling in the case means more noise. If you put into account lower CFM case fans for the case, then you're not getting " better case cooling".

Besides I wanted better cooling concentrated on the ram modules. I already have the best low noise air cooling in the case and of course my chip is H20-ed :D

Mind you this works for me. Other ppl might have different thoughts/opinions/preferences.

no matter how well your case airflow is.
nothing beats directed airflow at hot spots.
and ram even at stock speeds like ddr2 1066 mhz do get pretty warm.
again like nebulous said, the cooler they are, the happier they are :)
besides, it 'looks' better than just a case fan hehe...

I've one of those Dominator coolers around, but don't use it myself. No real need here just blocks what air I have going through there anyways, enough stuff in that area all ready. With Nebs and the water I'm sure they are very worthwhile.

But they do mount solidly if you do it right, is a pretty sturdy RAM cooler. Is pretty easy it looks to take the branding off it if I remember right, hadn't bothered as not really using it.

Last edited:
I was never really a fan of the RAM coolers. Personally I just used a 92mm Panaflo fan and some rubber bands to attach it. No need to spend the money unless you want it for the looks.

I was never really a fan of the RAM coolers. Personally I just used a 92mm Panaflo fan and some rubber bands to attach it. No need to spend the money unless you want it for the looks.

That would be my mentality if I needed ram cooling. Haha

Here you go. I took the stickers off, but it's the Corsair :)

It clips on the ram clips tight. No wiggle or wobble here. Trust me, it holds nice and snug ;)

Awesome. How much of a pain was it to remove the branding?

That would be my mentality if I needed ram cooling. Haha

I agree to an extent, but I really like things to look nice, too. Also accessibility is a big factor.

Back