• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Registry cleaner > More harm than good!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

i saw someone on another forum say that registry cleaners can do more harm than good?
if you dont count the fact that they could make ur o/s unbootable by deleting the wrong files
what else is bad about them....they cant make your o/s slower...can they??

also if anyone knows of a good one ( im currently on ccleaner/auslogics) could you please recomend one

( oh and sorry if there is another thread about this, cant seem to find )
THANKS!

Download and run three different so-called registry cleaners, run a registry scan with each, but don't use the programs to delete any of the invalid keys they each find. Now compare the results from each of the three programs. Chances are good that no two of the three programs found the same invalid keys. In this scenario which of the three programs do you trust to clean the registry? My suggestion to you is... don't use any of these so-called registry cleaners that supposedly clean your registry. The registry is the heart of your OS, and unless you know what you're doing, one wrong deletion or edit can cause dire consequences.

Some cleaners may get something that is a false reading or pickup something that is not bad actually, and will get rid of it.

Download and run three different so-called registry cleaners, run a registry scan with each, but don't use the programs to delete any of the invalid keys they each find. Now compare the results from each of the three programs. Chances are good that no two of the three programs found the same invalid keys. In this scenario which of the three programs do you trust to clean the registry? My suggestion to you is... don't use any of these so-called registry cleaners that supposedly clean your registry. The registry is the heart of your OS, and unless you know what you're doing, one wrong deletion or edit can cause dire consequences.

This advice is unbeatable. I would say the chances are small of having your install hosed by cleaning the registry, but it does happen. At the same time, the benefits of cleaning are nonexistent. There's really no point in doing this.

Back