• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano 6+ Or Volcano 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
athlonrulz said:
Which is better for a Athlon XP 2000+

Never used the 7 but I've recently come upon the possibility that there is no productive difference between the 6cu+ and the 6cu. I'm gonna look into it further over the next few days and then put out the facts as I know them. If you're thinking of the 6cu+ you may do just as well with the 6cu at a cheaper price and save the cost of the hearing aid too.

the only difference between the 6cu and the 6cu+ is the cu+ has a more powerful fan on it basicaly a delta 38 clone

My friend bought a volcano 7 and he said its pretty much useless.His 1ghz Tbird would get so hot that the computer would restart itself even after removing the temp sensor that controls the fan speed.He gave it to me and I removed the copper plug insert and Im going to use it in a direct die cooling project im working on:p

MaX PowerZ said:
My friend bought a volcano 7 and he said its pretty much useless.His 1ghz Tbird would get so hot that the computer would restart itself even after removing the temp sensor that controls the fan speed.He gave it to me and I removed the copper plug insert and Im going to use it in a direct die cooling project im working on:p

If he finds it useless on a 1Ghz t-bird, then something else was wrong. It surely isn't the best HSF, but it could *definately* handle that cpu. Heck, I have a Volcano 5 that is more than adequate for my overclocked 1 Ghz...

Note in this review, the Volcano 7 kept a Athlon 1Ghz @ 1.4Ghz @ 1.85V down to 42 Full Load. This surpassed the 6Cu+ by 3 degrees with a much quieter fan...

I have read just about every review for the 7, and am going to make it my next HSF...

roller2.gif
flounder43

Last edited:
Wow,He said he tried reseating it a few times,I even gave him some AS 2 to try on it.I can tell you that the copper insert is not that tight of a fit in it because I removed it with a punch with a few light taps,Its just press fitted inside of it.

MaX PowerZ said:
Wow,He said he tried reseating it a few times,I even gave him some AS 2 to try on it.I can tell you that the copper insert is not that tight of a fit in it because I removed it with a punch with a few light taps,Its just press fitted inside of it.

Could have been a defective unit (copper not making good contact...).

That is too bad, I hope the one I order is better than that one, or they're gettin' it back!

roller2.gif
flounder43

i used a 6cu+ for a while and it workd fine for me... weird that your freind couldent get it to work for his 1ghz when i used mine on my 1.33ghz when i had it.....

EDIT: doh lol i should pay closer atention to what i read lol just noticed your freinds was a volcano 7 not 6cu+.... oh well

I use to have the Volcano 6CU+ it kept my AThlon XP1600+ at around 40C idle but that's with no case fans..
right now I'm using an Athlon XP1800+ O/C to 2000+ with a Volcano 7 w/ diode cut off so the Fan is spinning at its Max and my Idle temp is 33 to 35 and Full load is 40C with 2 Case fans blowing 50CFM each, 1 in and 1 out. Note* I did lapped my HS
Volcano 7 is a nice HSF just gotta lapped it eheheh if you want even more power replace the 53CFM fan of the Volcano 7 with the Delta 80CFM but its will be abit noisier... :D

--------------------------------------------------------------
MSI K7T266 Pro2
Athlon XP1800+ @ 2000+ (11.5x145)
Lapped Volcano 7 w/ Max Powered Fan
512 DDR Crucial
bla bla bla
Creative Labs DTT3500

bobt17 said:
the only difference between the 6cu and the 6cu+ is the cu+ has a more powerful fan on it basicaly a delta 38 clone

I know, what I mean is there may be little if any productive difference. The 6cu+ is louder and costs more but it may not perform any better.

eobard said:

I know, what I mean is there may be little if any productive difference. The 6cu+ is louder and costs more but it may not perform any better.

Yes, according to the like to the review I gave above, there was almost no difference between the 6cu and the 6cu+.

Eobard, did you do your own testing?

Actually at SideWinder computer I saw the 6cu for 18.00 while the 6cu+ went cheap for 14.00 :D

I'd go for a 6cu+ since it is so cheap and after a lap job your bound to shave off like 3-4 degrees if you do one heck of a job of it :D

Yodums

flounder43 said:

Yes, according to the like to the review I gave above, there was almost no difference between the 6cu and the 6cu+.

Eobard, did you do your own testing?

Kind of. It wasn't anything done in double-blind lab conditions and so I'm going to redo it (and take notes this time) to verify. Then I'll let you all know.

my last comp that i built for someone used a 6cu+ and it was HYPER loud! it put out like i think 39cfm? and it cooled pretty good,
then we put one of them quiet blue fans on it that put out 31cfm and the temps didnt change!!

same temps and a million times quieter!

Masked: Depends on the chip itself, since the Volcano 6cu and Volcano 6cu+ aren't listed to be different except the fact the Volcano 6cu is equipped with a Everflow 32cfm while the 6cu+ is equipped w/ a 7000rpm Everflow 38cfm. And in reviews it stated that they both preform the same...

Yodums

Volcano 7

Athlon XP 1.4 @ 1.6 Volcano 7 temps never above 40
80mm 53cfm fan at 5100rpm all the time

I use Volcano 6cu+'s on both my xp's and my duron...there alot better then the Volcano 7 IMHO(i have a 7 as well..but i dont use it)...if you already own a 7...cut the thermistor off, and twist the wires together, that way it will run at full speed all the time. Its still not as good as the 6cu+ though.
[edit: i just read the review]
Im not sure where that guy got his numbers...but my volcano 6cu+ keeps my xp1700@1650 at a nice cool 35-37c full load depending on ambient temp in the room. I had installed the volcano 7 on my [email protected](stock speeds) when i first bought it...it ran at 39c IDLE!!...and 44c fullload...in my opinion...thats just too hot...my volcano 6cu+ does a MUCH BETTER job cooling....

Last edited:
Back