• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 975 Extreme Overclocking Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Azrael35

Registered
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a new Core i7 975 Extreme
MSI Eclipse Motherboard
12 gigs Corsair Dominator 1600mhz ram(running at 1333 for some reason)
2x EVGA GTX 295's (quad sli)

I currently have it clocked at 4ghz with the bus speed set to 150 and the multiplier set to 27. Right now its running perfectly stable. I ran prime95 overnight no problems never heated past 44c. It was a little glitchy at a few parts in Vantage but still cranked out a score of 37,301 at performance.

Id like to get it to run around 4.4 to 4.8 if possible and I would like to get the memory to run at 1600mhz like it is supposed to. Everytime i step it up any further than what i have it at i get stability issues. I know the processor can run faster than 4.0ghz so I'd like to get a little more out of it if i can.

Thanks guys
Az.

I know i'm n00b here, but the other question that has to be asked is what kind of cooling you have or plan to use?

btw nice D0 stepping which I've read is :thup:

AnandTech had some results (which I'm not trying to pimp AnandTech) with DO stepping. Though for cooling they were strapping ice packs (!!!) to air heatsinks. Plus for 4.4~4.6Ghz results they were "only" running 6GB, but not sure if that makes a real difference.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3568&p=5

Anyhow please keep us updated on how this goes, seeing someone push a 975 to the max here @ overclockers.com should be a fun journey :beer:

running 12gb at 1600 is going to be close to impossible man unless you have a very good mobo/cpu combo... i couldnt do it with my c0 and gigabyte extreme mobo who knows if it would be possible with my d0 since i dont have 12gb anymore

you might want to add more qpi volts to try to get those 12gb stable and also try upping the ioh volts to go higher than 4.0

Running a full 12GB of high speed memory is extremely difficult for the i7's memory controller. When you buy memory in 6GB packs, they are only rated for running in that 6GB configuration.

btw nice D0 stepping which I've read is :thup:

All i7 950s and 975s are D0.

if you dont need the 12gb of ram man i say get rid of 6...i didnt want to but i had to

as soon as i went down to 6 i ram went up to 1800 with no problem stock volts... and we have the same ram

Ok so ill ditch half the ram and it should run faster, will that help the overclocking at all? It seems odd i see 920's running at 4.5 all day and i cant seem to get over 4.1. Im running some stage 3 watercooling with thermoelectric oil crap or whatever. I basically just went to the falcon guys and got the most expensive computer i could have them make but i forgot to have them overclock it for me.

Must say i was rather disappointed, I spent 8 grand on a computer and when i got it they didnt even have the sli enabled for my video cards.

Ok so ill ditch half the ram and it should run faster, will that help the overclocking at all? It seems odd i see 920's running at 4.5 all day and i cant seem to get over 4.1. Im running some stage 3 watercooling with thermoelectric oil crap or whatever. I basically just went to the falcon guys and got the most expensive computer i could have them make but i forgot to have them overclock it for me.

Must say i was rather disappointed, I spent 8 grand on a computer and when i got it they didnt even have the sli enabled for my video cards.

Wow, they failed hard.

Wow, 8K. What are the rest of the spec's on the system? Just for giggles I went to their site and threw one together and it only came to 7K including crazy options like the $1k SSD, killer NIC, and dual 295's.

Wow, 8K. What are the rest of the spec's on the system? Just for giggles I went to their site and threw one together and it only came to 7K including crazy options like the $1k SSD, killer NIC, and dual 295's.

I got basically that same setup minus the killer nic, and then a 32 inch lcd monitor. So i guess the computer was only around 7k. Its a beautiful machine, I could take some pictures if you guys want it has an awesome paint job(which was another expensive option :( ) I just wish i would have had them overclock it for me. Im starting to wish i would have gotten the i7 920 since more people have it theres more info on how to overclock it.

Its not like theres really anything wrong with it its running fantastic, Im getting a 3dmark vantage score of 37,000 and I think the best score is like 40k, but it just seems weird that the 920 can run at 4.5 and i cant get my 975 past 4.1

With only a 4.0G oc you can probably go much lower on your vCore with a D0. I would suggest to first try lowering the volts and testing for stability. Keep a notebook handy and write down what you try.

Once you find the lowest settings that are stable try raising your QPI a couple points and test again. Most instability can be solved with vCore or vtt bumps. Again, keep track of what needs changed and the results.

With dual gfx cards you may need to raise your IOH and/or qpi vtt also to keep your 3d stability. Some rigs can run 12Gb no problem. I know of someone who does professional rendering that runs 12Gbs at 3.8(wHT) for work and 4.2Ghz for gaming. Ram @ 1600 speed give or take a bit. He needs a bit more vtt than most but it's rock solid stable, it has to be for him, it's a work and play machine, not just a gaming rig.

Ok I had a friend of mine come over that knows a lot more about this crap than I do, and with a couple of hours of messing with it he was able to get me to 4.9 ghz and so far its working fine, it benchmarked Vantage at 40,022 succesfully and its playing the games just fine no crashes yet, but its running much hotter. Underload over a longer period of time it will get as hot as 64c is that too hot? or is that ok for the I7?

That's fine, depending on how much load that is. Try using Prime95 or LinX to get all the cores working at 100%, then see how hot they all get and whether or not it's a stable overclock.

Ok I had a friend of mine come over that knows a lot more about this crap than I do, and with a couple of hours of messing with it he was able to get me to 4.9 ghz and so far its working fine
Can you post all of your current BIOS settings at 4.9 GHz?...
Code:
BIOS Template - Gigabyte GA-EX58 - EXTREME MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)

CPU Clock Ratio [20x]

Advanced CPU Features [Press Enter]:
CPU Clock Ratio [20x]
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech [Enabled]
CPU Cores Enabled [All]
CPU Multi Threading [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Enabled]
C3/C6/C7 State Support [Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function [Enabled]
Virtualization Technology [Enabled]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT [Enabled]

QPI Link Speed [AUTO]

Uncore & QPI Features [Press Enter]:
QPI Link Speed [AUTO]
Uncore Frequency [AUTO]
Isonchronous Frequency [Enabled]

Base Clock (BCLK) Control [Enabled]
BCLK Frequency (MHz) [160]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]:
standard clock control
Base Clock (BCLK) Control [Enabled]
BCLK Frequency (MHz) [160]
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) [AUTO]
C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

advanced clock control
CPU Clock Drive [ 700mV]
PCI Express Clock Drive [ 700mV]
CPU Clock Skew [ 0ps]
IOH Clock Skew [ 0ps]

Performance Enhance [Turbo]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [AUTO]
DRAM Timing Selectable (sPD) [Manual]

Channel A

CAS Latency Time 8 [AUTO]
tRCD 8 [AUTO]
tRP 8 [AUTO]
tRAS 20 [AUTO]

Channel B

tRCD 8 [AUTO]
tRP 8 [AUTO]
tRAS 20 [AUTO]

Channel C

tRCD 8 [AUTO]
tRP 8 [AUTO]
tRAS 20 [AUTO]

Advanced DRAM Features [Press Enter]:
Performance Enhance [Turbo]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [AUTO]
DRAM Timing Selectable (sPD) [Manual]

Channel A

Channel A Timing Settings [Press Enter]:
##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
tRCD 8 [AUTO]
tRP 8 [AUTO]
tRAS 20 [AUTO]

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
tRC 27 [AUTO]
tRRD 4 [AUTO]
tWTR 4 [AUTO]
tWR 8 [AUTO]
tRFC 60 [AUTO]
tRTP 4 [AUTO]
tFAW 20 [AUTO]
Command Rate (CMD) 1 [AUTO]

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
Round Trip Latency 58 [AUTO]

Channel A Turnaround Settings [Press Enter]:
##Channel A Writes Followed By Reads##
Different DIMMs 6 [AUTO]
Different Ranks 6 [AUTO]
On The Same Rank 6 [AUTO]

##Channel A Reads Followed By Writes##
Different DIMMs 8 [AUTO]
Different Ranks 8 [AUTO]
On The Same Rank 8 [AUTO]

##Channel A Reads Followed By Reads##
Different DIMMs 6 [AUTO]
Different Ranks 5 [AUTO]
On The Same Rank 1 [AUTO]

##Channel A Writes Followed By Writes##
Different DIMMs 6 [AUTO]
Different Ranks 6 [AUTO]

Channel B

Channel B Timing Settings [Press Enter]:
##Channel B Standard Timing Control##
tRCD 8 [AUTO]
tRP 8 [AUTO]
tRAS 20 [AUTO]

##Channel B Advanced Timing Control##
tRC 27 [AUTO]
tRRD 4 [AUTO]
tWTR 4 [AUTO]
tWR 8 [AUTO]
tRFC 60 [AUTO]
tRTP 4 [AUTO]
tFAW 20 [AUTO]

##Channel B Misc Timing Control##

Channel A Turnaround Settings [Press Enter]:
##Channel B Writes Followed By Reads##
Different DIMMs 6 [AUTO]
Different Ranks 6 [AUTO]

##Channel B Reads Followed By Writes##
Different DIMMs 8 [AUTO]
Different Ranks 8 [AUTO]

##Channel B Reads Followed By Reads##
Different DIMMs 6 [AUTO]
Different Ranks 5 [AUTO]

##Channel B Writes Followed By Writes##
Different DIMMs 6 [AUTO]
Different Ranks 6 [AUTO]

Channel C

Channel C Timing Settings [Press Enter]:
##Channel C Standard Timing Control##
tRCD 8 [AUTO]
tRP 8 [AUTO]
tRAS 20 [AUTO]

##Channel C Advanced Timing Control##
tRC 27 [AUTO]
tRRD 4 [AUTO]
tWTR 4 [AUTO]
tWR 8 [AUTO]
tRFC 60 [AUTO]
tRTP 4 [AUTO]
tFAW 20 [AUTO]

##Channel C Misc Timing Control##

Channel C Turnaround Settings [Press Enter]:
##Channel C Writes Followed By Reads##
Different DIMMs 6 [AUTO]
Different Ranks 6 [AUTO]

##Channel C Reads Followed By Writes##
Different DIMMs 8 [AUTO]
Different Ranks 8 [AUTO]

##Channel C Reads Followed By Reads##
Different DIMMs 6 [AUTO]
Different Ranks 5 [AUTO]

##Channel C Writes Followed By Writes##
Different DIMMs 6 [AUTO]
Different Ranks 6 [AUTO]

Load Line Calibration [Disabled]
CPU Vcore 1.29375v [AUTO]
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v [AUTO]
IOH Core 1.100v [AUTO]
DRAM Voltage 1.5v [AUTO]

Advanced Voltage Control [Press Enter]:
Load Line Calibration [Disabled]
CPU Vcore 1.29375v [AUTO]
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v [AUTO]
CPU PLL 1.800v [AUTO]

MCH

PCIE 1.500v [AUTO]
QPI PLL 1.100v [AUTO]
IOH Core 1.100v [AUTO]
ICH I/O 1.500v [AUTO]
ICH Core 1.1v [AUTO]

DRAM

DRAM Voltage 1.500v [AUTO]
DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]

That's fine, depending on how much load that is. Try using Prime95 or LinX to get all the cores working at 100%, then see how hot they all get and whether or not it's a stable overclock.

Yeah i tested it with prime95 since thats the one im used to and it ran fine for an hour but got up to 64c then i stopped it cause i didnt know if that was too hot or not. Ive been playing farcry 2, fallout3 and f.e.a.r 2 and everything is running perfect at ultra high settings. Is there a way to screenshot the bios settings or you guys just want me to write em down?

The base clock is at 175mhz and the Multiplier is set to 28 the volts is 1.482v

Back