• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old WC setup. what parts should I replace?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ecca

I have an old WC set up I dropped like $300 on back in the day (3 years ago?)

The parts are as following
CPU block: AquaExtreme MP-05
Radiator: Swiftech-MCR320-QP-K-Triple-120mm-Radiator
PUMP: Swiftech MCP655
Res: Small EK res

I want to replace the res for sure, it seems too small. Would a bigger res help out with heat dissipation? Also, what can I do to get the best out of my system? I want to get the most out of overclocking as possible. Should I OC the northbridge as well? also how bad would it be to have cpu northbridge and gpu watercooled with this set up?

Thanks a bunch for your time.

I see no reason to get rid of your res unless you just want to get a new one. Heck, some just go T-line with no res at all, so it's not too small for anything. A res is a res, don't waste your money (again, unless you're looking for a change).

Rad & pump are fine, still a good rad (just got one myself) and the pump is still one of the top contenders.

Sorry, I know nothing about your block, but if you're wanting the top of the line, look no further than this copper beauty (they're made for other sockets too).

I see no reason to get rid of your res unless you just want to get a new one. Heck, some just go T-line with no res at all, so it's not too small for anything. A res is a res, don't waste your money (again, unless you're looking for a change).

Rad & pump are fine, still a good rad (just got one myself) and the pump is still one of the top contenders.

Sorry, I know nothing about your block, but if you're wanting the top of the line, look no further than this copper beauty (they're made for other sockets too).

If there is no performance upgrade I will stick with my old res.

Thank you for the response, now I know I can just look into a new CPU block and maybe use this one for my northbridge.

thanx again

If there is no performance upgrade I will stick with my old res.

Thank you for the response, now I know I can just look into a new CPU block and maybe use this one for my northbridge.

thanx again

Depending on what you want to cool, that block may be perfectly fine. If it's a C2D, you should have no problems keeping it cool, even with a hefty OC on it. A quad may be pushing it but i'm sure it would let you OC to a nice speed. You have plenty of rad no matter what CPU you have and the pump is fine as well.

Axis

Depending on what you want to cool, that block may be perfectly fine. If it's a C2D, you should have no problems keeping it cool, even with a hefty OC on it. A quad may be pushing it but i'm sure it would let you OC to a nice speed. You have plenty of rad no matter what CPU you have and the pump is fine as well.

Axis

Big thanks, im going to lap it and hook it up asap.

when I get a new processor ill look into a new block, as for now and as always tyvm guys OCF is the best.

Only thing I'd replace is the block. The rad is the same I bought, and it works out just fine. The reservoir simply doesn't matter, it just holds water. The pump is still one of the top of the line pumps... so that leaves the block.

I'd review it's performance, if it doesn't match up to anything out there right now, I'd upgrade, if it's within a few C, save your money. If you're adamate about dropping some cash, get compression fittings. Worth every penny in terms of convenience, safety, and aesthetic!

yeah I am going to have to just agree with Aynjell. I have most of the parts myself and they handle all mine just fine.

After reading up on it, if you want to upgrade, here is my suggestions:

Swiftech Apogee GTZ, and some compression fittings (whatever size you decide to go with). The Apogee GTZ is at the top of performance right there with the D-Tek Fusion V2. I've not actually seen any blocks that keep up with these. The heatkiller is supposed to be really good as well but I'm all too satisfied with my GTZ, and it's toolless installation is damned good. No fumbling with screws, washers, etc. Line up the back plate and start twisting the attached thumb screws. it's the most repeatable installation out there and just dogs on everything else in terms of convenience.

Polish in products matters a lot to me, if you haven't noticed. :)

GTZ: http://petrastechshop.com/swapgtzcpuwa.html (I've always thought the matrix was weak but it works)
Compression Fittings: http://petrastechshop.com/dadepocofig1.html

Back