• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmmm... Hyper V kills VMWare Server x64bit guest OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Well I installed Hyper V in my S2k8 workstation thinking I'd play with it. Well it locked up the 64-86x resources and only let VMWare Server have x86 access. Well x64 Linux guest OS wouldn't run obviously and no SMP_SMP joy :(

I suppose I could install SuSe x64 in a Hyper V terminal with 4 processors or two VMs with 2 processors and run it from there :shrug:

However I like VMWare server because it can even run with x86 XP as a host and still run x64 guest OS as long as the PC has VT supported processors :thup:

So I uninstalled Hyped Vee in a New York minute... :rolleyes:

Interesting. Hyper V is the m$ product right?

Have you played with Xen yet? I'm planning on trying it soon, VMware is getting too expensive at work. Though not sure you can run it on top of windows. Hmm wonder how my games would perform inside a virtual machine.

//contemplates turning sig rig into virtual host (native) and running everything as vm.....

I'm not surprised that MS would not play nice with VMWare Server while Hyper V was installed :mad:

I'm sticking with VMWare Server 1.9 as it's a pretty powerful, portable and free VM app that I've gotten pretty good at running.

Back