• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Beast - Need expert opinion!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjlewis0102

Ok so my new computer is on its way. I just purchased my first core i7 920 and i don't know that much about overclocking (except from what I read). If I can just get my i7 920 to 3.6Ghz I'd be happy.

Question is, did I get the right build for my soon to be oc'd i7? And how easy will it be for me to oc an i7 920 to 3.6ghz?

Here's what i brought

Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Case Black )

Power Supply ( 800 Watt -- Power Supply Quad SLI Ready )

Processor ( [New !!] Intel® Core™ i7 920 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )

Processor Cooling ( XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooling Fan System H.D.T. (Heat-pipe direct touch) technology )

Motherboard ( Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way SLI PCI-E MB 3-Way SLI )

Memory ( 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module Corsair or Major Brand )
Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB PCI-Express x16 )

Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )

CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive LG 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )

Meter Display ( NZXT Sentry LX Aluminum Fan Control, Clock, and Temperature LCD Display )

Advanced Build Options ( Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound)

What brand of power supply did you get? Because this is a very important part of the rig. As for the 920, it will reach 3.6Ghz failry easily, heck I have my Q9450 running stable @ 3.6ghz. I've seen many people with the 920 reach 4.0-4.2Ghz range on air with the right tweaking, so I would say 3.6 is a decent goal. I dont know much about the heatsink that you bought, but make sure you keep the temps under a watchful eye to make sure that chip stays cool.

What brand of power supply did you get? Because this is a very important part of the rig. As for the 920, it will reach 3.6Ghz failry easily, heck I have my Q9450 running stable @ 3.6ghz. I've seen many people with the 920 reach 4.0-4.2Ghz range on air with the right tweaking, so I would say 3.6 is a decent goal. I dont know much about the heatsink that you bought, but make sure you keep the temps under a watchful eye to make sure that chip stays cool.

i dont know the brand of the PSU but these are the specs:

Specification:
800 Watt Version 2.91 with Ultimate detachable connectors/140mm Ultra- Silent Cooling LED Fan with Auto speed Control/20+4 Pins/QUAD +12V supported//SATAx 6/ nVidia SLI Certified Ready)/OVP,UVP,OPP supported.

as far as the heat sink goes, here are the specs for that as well:

Description:
XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooling Fan System

Specification:
Dimension: 120(W) x 50(D) x 159(H) mm
Heat Sink:
- Base Material: H.D.T. (Heat-pipes Direct Touch)
- Fin Material: Aluminum Alloy
Heat-pipe:
- SPEC: F8mm
- Q´ty: 3 pcs.

Fan:
- Dimension: 120(W) x 120(H) x 25(D) mm
- Voltage Rating: 12V
- Speed: 1000~2200 R.P.M.
- Bearing Type: Long Life Bearing
- Air Flow: 89.45 CFM (Max.)
- Air Pressure: 4.1 mmH2O (Max.)
- Life Expectance: 50,000 hrs