• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Heavy Metal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First, sorry for the corny name, but I couldn't think of anything better.

With that out of the way, I have decided that I will once again embark on my yearly quest to modify a case in some way, and make it the new home of my pc. The case I chose this year came from a dumpster almost 4 years ago, and has been living in my garage ever since.

IMG_0633.jpg

For this build, I'm thinking a military theme might be fun. I've been playing with some flat green paint for it, and I'm thinking it might get some paint to match the markings on an old Willys jeep. I picked up some cast iron casters to go along with the tough image of the rest of it (all steel, extremely overbuilt). I think I may replace the stock switch opening with a couple USB ports, and mount some toggle switches with flip covers for power, reset, and perhaps lights or fan controlling (7v/12v for noise control). The fans in the front are 92mm. I can fit two 120mm fans, or just keep/replace the original size ones. I'm leaning towards some high output fans, and just running them at 7v until I need the airflow. It will also get a couple spring-loaded handles from MNPCTech

The biggest issue I will face is opening up an area of the top panel for my TRUE to stick through. I'm thinking I will cut the opening on three sides, and bend up the metal that's left to create a cover, and possibly filling in the open area with mesh and maybe a brace.

I'll try and get some pics of how it looks so far tomorrow. I might even get started on mounting the casters and figuring out how to fit my drives in it.

If you want to see more pics of the case, they are here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v257/98DakotaSport/Computer/Heavy Metal Case/

If you have any ideas, suggestions, random thoughts, or comical insults, please feel free to share :)

Subscribed! That could definatly make a monster case. Will you have trouble fitting a ATX mobo as the case only has 6 expansion slots instead of the usual 7?

:( I completely missed that. That 7th spot right below the IO panel is where my sound card goes. I might need to improvise with an old case I have, or scrap this thing completely, since a different motherboard is out of the question, and it doesn't have onboard sound.

Would be a shame to scrap the case. Hopefully if you add another slot where I have put the red box everthing will line up properly. I'm looking foward to seeing this project advance. Never quite seen a case like it!

IMG_0641.jpg

I took a look at everything, and I think it will work. I'll just drill some holes to let me access the ports on the card, and trim it's bracket to make it fit.

Crisis averted :D Now I just need some quality time with a drill press and my dremel :D

It seemed fitting. It's probably gonna be loud at times, it's a bit rough around the edges, and it could take your head off if I crank it up and let it fly :D

That, and the fact it weights about 50 pounds completely empty :p

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been pretty busy with other things.

I've been toying with a few ideas to fix up the lid. I'm thinking of building and mounting a small mini gun to the top and having linked ammo feeding out the side :D

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been pretty busy with other things.

I've been toying with a few ideas to fix up the lid. I'm thinking of building and mounting a small mini gun to the top and having linked ammo feeding out the side :D

Yeah! Like a automatic turrent gun, That will up the frag count!! lol:D

Sorry for the lack of updates. Work was getting the best of me. I tore the case apart today and started painting it. I also painted and mounted the wheels. I have not yet cut out the top to clear my cpu heatsink. I'm debating on how I want to approach it, because money is becoming more of an issue with this, and I'd rather pass on something if I can't afford to do it right. A half-arsed mini-gun is less impressive than none at all IMO.

Once the paint dries and I reassemble it tomorrow, I'll get some pics up.

Here are the pics I promised. I will need to redo the front panel once I fill the holes in it (I finally decided what I wanted to do with them). The bay panels are painted and awaiting prep for the power and fan switches. It will have power and reset momentary switches with toggle covers, and low/high switches to take the fans from 7v to 12v, also with toggle covers. I'm also thinking I'm going to cut out the bars from the extra front cover, and replace it with mesh.

Anyway, here's the pics...

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Good job with the paint. You wouldn't think it was the same case. It's good to see a old case get some more use. I often come accross old full tower cases at work that just end up getting scrapped. I'm sure that some of them would make a great project for a high-spec water cooled PC. Just wish I had the money and time to do something with them. Great work!

Great job so far bring new life back to an old case,

Recycling is great, when and where you can, well done!

Back