• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM heat spreaders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loserboy

Registered
1st post, hi all :cool:

I just started building a computers again since a few years ago and I've noticed alot of the ram I buy with heat spreaders on them now have the spreaders attached with foam tape whereas I recall them having more direct contact with the chips themselves. This seems really counterproductive to me and was wondering if someone could shed some light.

It's not a big issue because I normally build for friends/neighbors/family that won't be OCing and I keep adequate airflow in the cases.

They actually use a thermal tape, which is designed to help pull the heat away from the chips and into the heat spreaders. It works in a way similar to the thermal pads found on some of the older OEM HSF's.

Metal having direct contact with chips should yeild better heat transfer , but alot of those heat spreaders fell of during installation effectively voiding the warranty attaching the heat spreaders with thermal sticky pads is sort of a security feature , because alot of people complained .

So the tape that resembles and feels like foam tape in every way is actually a thermal sticky pad tape?

yea I do remember the older spreaders looked like they might come right off in imperfect conditions

In reality, ram heat spreaders have not proven much value according to the test reviews I have read. I think they add more value cosmetically than they do from a heat dissapation standpoint.

Back