• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 shutdown problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crofty83

When i try to shutdown or restart windows 2000 it goes through shuttin down windows but then when it gets to the point where it should either switch off or reboot it just displays a black like DOS screen with the flashing white underscore cursor at the top. Have no idea how to fix this problem so could anybody help me. Cheers.

I've never had/heard of that problem before.

Does the HD stop reading while its doing its blinking cursor thing? If so, than I'd leave it and see if it shuts down or not.

What are the specs of your machine? Are you using Professional, Server or Advanced Server? Do you have ACPI installed and running?

We need a bit more info to help you out.

and welcome to the forums!! :D

I have the exact same problem. I just installed a new Geoforce 2 GTS-V video card...installed the latest nvidia drivers and all of the sudden windows 2000 won't shutdown or restart.

My problem is a mirror of crofty83's description. I have re-installed my W2K OS four times today because I thought is was an IRQ/ACPI issue. I had messed with my BIOS, registry, and ACPI in Device Manager. No Luck!

Finally realized that it was the nvidia drivers (I tried three versions). I can uninstall the drivers and "presto" my machine would shutdown and restart normally.

From what I have read the remaining of today is that some drivers/applications can cause problems like this in W2K.

Anyone else have issues with the NVidia drivers and your machine shutting down properly?

Back