• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artifacting issues on my 4870HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liquidxtension

Registered
I just realized i made my first post in the wrong thread. Sorry about that. I hope this place will be more useufl

Hey guys I really hope you could help me here cause the issue has become to be very irritating for me. =/

I recently bought a Powercolor 4870 HD 1GB for my New computer and it seems to be fine except for one issue.

I noticed this first when i was playing Stalker Clear Sky and thought it was a glitch in the game until i noticed occur in Crysis as well. The card originally came factory overclock so i turned it down back to stock and still had the same issue. I can't seem to change the fan speed.

It seems like the right hand corner of my screen, every now and then, it seems like a box is not syncing up with the rest of the frames. At first i thought it was only from games until I recently moved one of my windows around.

I can't really capture a screen shot so i made a screenshot trying to demonstrate what I see on my monitor( TV) (P.S Disregard my goofy wallpaper XD)

whatitlookslikeu.jpg

Keep in mind this is what I see on my monitor not an actual screenshot of whats occuring. Whenever i try taking one it doesnt show up.

I'm currently using Catlyst Drivers 9.6. Can someone tell me whats going on?

If it has been doing this since you got it... could be a faulty card, especially since you turned the clocks down.... i take it you have cleaned out the heatsink? What temps are you hitting under load?

If it has been doing this since you got it... could be a faulty card, especially since you turned the clocks down.... i take it you have cleaned out the heatsink? What temps are you hitting under load?

Most i've assumed is 60 degrees C. When it's idle it is a steady 55 degrees.

You really think its a faulty card? damn it i always have bad luck with electronics.

You should have fan control in the overdrive section. The older version didn't have it so I think you may wrong version or wrong drivers? At your current fan speed you're probably having heat issues.

Overdrive section should look like this:

cccshot-1-1-1.png

Last edited:
Most i've assumed is 60 degrees C. When it's idle it is a steady 55 degrees.

You really think its a faulty card? damn it i always have bad luck with electronics.

Idle is 55? Then under load is going to be high... probably 80+... crank up the fan and get those temps down...

Also, what psu are you using?

The problem is the catylyst drivers i d/led for some reason dont let me change the fan speed.

I have a 650W PSU in an Antec 900 case.

I have the latest windows 7 release canidate as well. As well ast the lastest catylyst drivers (9.6) for it for windows 7. Oddly enough my friend has a 4800 series card and his has a manual fan speed.

I'm redownloading the drivers and installing them again to see if anything changes.

I just reinstalled the latest drivers...still no manual fan. The idle right now is 52 degrees C.

Okay so i tried using a third party software (ATI TRAY TOOLS) to tweak the fan...guess what? i can't do it there either! When i click on fan it says no fan hardware supported!

Wth D=

I'm using a Powercolor 4870HD 1gb GDDR5...

The problem is the catylyst drivers i d/led for some reason dont let me change the fan speed.

I have a 650W PSU in an Antec 900 case.

I have the latest windows 7 release canidate as well. As well ast the lastest catylyst drivers (9.6) for it for windows 7. Oddly enough my friend has a 4800 series card and his has a manual fan speed.

I'm redownloading the drivers and installing them again to see if anything changes.

I am wondering if it has something to do with Windows 7 itself...I note that I did have some problems with my ATI cards in Windows 7 when I tried out the latest RC last week. I went back to Vista and things are working great. I can manually edit my profile.xml file too in order to set manual control of my fanspeed.

On my other HTPC system, I just replaced the OEM heatsink with a Scythe Musashi and its performance so far has been fantastic to say the least.

well I just called tech support and they decided the card was defective. So i am waiting for an RMA at the moment from the manufacturer.

I also just purchased this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102810

I'm planning on doing cross fire. Will it work?

Here are my specs:

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo Motherboard
Antec 650W PSU
Antec 900 Case
OCZ 4gig Ram

Once again thanks to all of you who tried helping with my problem. Glad to get a second opinion before I contacted tech support. It made things much more quicker.

Last edited:
Good stuff man glad to see you got things worked out. That should x fire with your other card fine and you will have screaming performance!

Back