• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Input needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alamocity

Registered
Hey Fellas, first post here, but I've been reading for a few weeks trying to learn before I start my first gaming pc build.

I'd like to have a rig capable of running stuff like DCS: Black Shark, Arma2, Crysis, etc, but I don't necessarily have to be able to max out all the settings to be happy.

This is what I'm looking at (all from Newegg):
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz
BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM3/AM2+
XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Western Digital caviar 7200 HDD probably 500GB
Vista 64 home edition

What would you recommend in terms of a:
case (I like the Antec 900)
Memory (is G.skill any good?) 800 or 1066?
PSU - I was thinking an antec EA650W
Do I need a HSF?

I'd like to keep the total cost around $1000 USD.

I already bought the CPU/Mobo on a combo deal ($200!) and am prepared to live with that unless it is just an awful choice. What say you?

Thanks for the help! T

:welcome: to the forums

The 900 is a good case. I can't comment much on the system as I'm not familiar with AMD at the moment. Gskill is apretty good brand of memory, power supply looks fine. All in all you've got a pretty good list. You do need an aftermarket HSF if you plan on overclocking any. Also, I would run the Win7RC and wait for Win7 to be released for an OS choice.

Thanks for the feedback.:cool:

I read conflicting things about HSF. If I am not (yet) overclocking, can I skip the fan for now?

Anyone have a comment on G.Skill vs OCZ platinum ram?

I'll have to do some research on Windows7. Is it recommended because it's new or because its better than Vista (which I'm not really a fan of anyway)?

Thanks again!

Win 7 is more stable than Vista, supposedly.
I been using Vista 64 with no problems since the sp's came out.
About the hs/f, I would get an aftermarket one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=2010110574 50012151 1371028496&name=XIGMATEK
But if you're not going to oc, then make sure you have good case airflow, and try the stock hs/f. See how warm the cpu gets, then maybe shop for an aftermarket.
GSkill, OCZ, Mushkin, Corsair, all good. If you're not oc'n, 800 would be fine.

Thanks OnDborder for the extra feedback. I think I'm getting closer to locking up the components here. I've read a lot of good reviews about the antec 900 moving a lot of air around for cooling. I'm hoping this will be enough, at least to get me started.

T

I have a few friends with the Antec 900 case so I've had a chance to look at it and its worth it, especially if you can get a deal on it. Currently its 20 bucks off on Newegg. The case has some good fans and good airflow so it will get the job done but I would still recommend getting a cheap cooler for your cpu even if you're not planning on overclocking it. You can get decent fans for less than 20 bucks so its worth the investment.

Back