• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM for Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

Since I'm not planning on overclocking what would be the best option for performance with a Phenom II 920 (high frequency or low latency)?

Also, does DDR2-1066 default at DDR2-800 if your FSB is not overclocked? My motherboard supports memory up to DDR2-1200 and my processor supports memory up to DDR-1066.

you have to manually change the divider in the BIOS to get it to run 1066 but it will work with the bus speed at stock

a set of 1066 CL5 ram would work best with your build you could even get a 1200 CL5 kit lower you multi and raise the bus speed to get the ram to 1200mhz if you wanted

If you do want to go the route of higher frequency I had a pair of ocz low voltage 1066 modules that I would highly recommend, on my platform they would go up to 1170 mhz but I settled around 1115 with slightly reduced timings (5-5-5-15-23)
I ended up sending them back to the online store because my motherboard wanted to overvolt them wayyyy to much but if your motherboard will allow you to tune in 1.8 to 1.9 volts your fine.

AMD processors like lower latency over speed (yes, the opposite of Intel). 2x2GB PC2 6400 4-4-4-12 will work great.

with only Everest as my reference , my setup did better with 1066 5-5-5-15 then 800 4-4-4-12 , write copy read as well as latency , bus speed was stock , only memory speed was different .

well, we're talking of a difference of 266 MHz, of course it will be faster. Also, the "AMD CPUs like lower latency" should be recheck, I know K8 is like that, but I'm not sure about K10.

Back