• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 w/2 30gb OCZ Vertex

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dito

So I think I might have a problem, probably not, but want opinions.... I was wanting to go to RAID 0 with my new build. I was planning on using two 30gb OCZ Vertex in RAID 0 for OS only (Windows 7RC). The "problem" is that with just programs and OS, I'm already at 42gb. I've read that SSD's "slow" down the more they fill up. Is there an issue of using 45 out of 60gb in RAID 0? Will the almost full capacity create "slow" problems?

45 out of 60GB should be fine, my X25-M is never lighter than 60 out of 80GB and it's doing great.

How are you at 45gigs on Win7? I don't even have that much with Vista, every Adobe and 3D program installed. All games?

I'd check out doing a Vlite install when RTM comes out. People are getting Win7 down to ~5gig installed.

Not sure if it is enabled by default in 7, but shadow copies will slowly take up a lot of space.

Yeah you can shrink Win7 down in size but remember if specific updates come out you might not be able to install them due to the fact it might require something that was on the PC and isn't anymore. I had that issue with Vista and was sad when SP1 came out. Sucked I had to reinstall and didn't want to but I did.

How are you at 45gigs on Win7? I don't even have that much with Vista, every Adobe and 3D program installed. All games?

I'd check out doing a Vlite install when RTM comes out. People are getting Win7 down to ~5gig installed.

YEAH!? OK, so i just checked my installed programs, <4gb! I do keep all emails and that itself is 5gb (keep emails for my work/business), but still, i don't have any music and hardly any photos. where the heck is all this capacity going? I just found 13gb in "Windows" properties. I'm confused...:confused:

YEAH!? OK, so i just checked my installed programs, <4gb! I do keep all emails and that itself is 5gb (keep emails for my work/business), but still, i don't have any music and hardly any photos. where the heck is all this capacity going? I just found 13gb in "Windows" properties. I'm confused...:confused:
You missed my post.

Not sure if it is enabled by default in 7, but shadow copies will slowly take up a lot of space.

ok, shadow copies are the "system restore" backups... should i turn these off (if possible)? or am i just going to have to deal with it?

ok, shadow copies are the "system restore" backups... should i turn these off (if possible)? or am i just going to have to deal with it?
Can't really tell you what to do, but I would disable them.

There are a few tweaks I used for SSD in Windows 7 (supposedly does not need them but I had by RC build down to 7GB)

Disable hibernate, pagefile, shadow copies... I will see if I can find all that I did. (Although I was told not to touch the pagefile in 7 as it causes problems.)

Talked about it here

Can't you move the page file to another drive? I wouldn't try keeping the page file on the C: drive with SSD's.

thanks everyone! can't wait to get the new SSD's in to the new build! it will be my devirginizing of RAID AND SSD, BOTH AT ONCE!!!

I have the same set up as you, i believe windows already sets aside 100MB as system resources. also make sure you have newest firmware on those drives, it makes a difference :)

OK, so I just got my 2 SSD's (my new build) and they were old firmware (one had 1275, the other had 1199? what a pain inthe *** to update the 1199, anyhow...) so they are upgraded firmware to 1.3, what else should i do to the before putting them into RAID 0? i thought i read I should TRIM them?

Back