• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stable o/c in XP, Vista BSOD????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chuck4456

Simple as that. What gives? Tried a reinstall (repair) nothing. Full reinstall, nothing. Any thoughts on this? It has never happened to me before. If I was stable in OS A, I could always get into OS B.
What's the error code?
Might be a driver issue.
List all of your hardware specs while you are at it.
Thanx.

Simple as that. What gives? Tried a reinstall (repair) nothing. Full reinstall, nothing. Any thoughts on this? It has never happened to me before. If I was stable in OS A, I could always get into OS B.

Might be a bad driver in Vista. IMO I've found Vista stablier then XP at high OCs. Mind you this was even before Vista was released.

also it really depends how you define stable. If system was never stressed in xp for longer time under xp then it might be unstable under vista. Vista is using more of memory for running so memory has to be check if it can withstand stress.

If nothing has changed with your hardware and all of sudden it is not stable in Vista, I would look at...

A) Environmental change (summer is here)
B) Driver issue (as suggested)
C) 64bit Vista? 64bit OS will not OC as high as 32bit, because it really stresses the hardware. (IE instabilities are found quicker)

Posting your Stop error would really be helpful if you can catch it (you should always disable automatic restart in windows so you can note what the stop errors are)

Trying booting Vista in safe mode. IF it boots in safe mode, find out what driver is causing hte crash )

also it really depends how you define stable. If system was never stressed in xp for longer time under xp then it might be unstable under vista. Vista is using more of memory for running so memory has to be check if it can withstand stress.
I was P95 Small FFT and blend stable both for 8 hours. I cant even get into vista. THe loading bar goes across and before anything else, BSOD.

If nothing has changed with your hardware and all of sudden it is not stable in Vista, I would look at...

A) Environmental change (summer is here)
B) Driver issue (as suggested)
C) 64bit Vista? 64bit OS will not OC as high as 32bit, because it really stresses the hardware. (IE instabilities are found quicker)

Posting your Stop error would really be helpful if you can catch it (you should always disable automatic restart in windows so you can note what the stop errors are)

Trying booting Vista in safe mode. IF it boots in safe mode, find out what driver is causing hte crash )
Im under water so temps arent the issue (fully loads at 60C 4.5Ghz).

Yes, I really need to post the stop error. I will disable the restart and get back to you.

32bit OS's on both sides.

Hardware specs are in my sig whoever asked that. Is there something missing that isnt listed?

THanks for you help so far all I will try to capture that BSOD tonight.

Check the Event Viewer logs for any critical errors (Start | Type event viewer in the Start Search field, and hit ENTER). When you open Event Viewer and expand Critical, Application, or System logs - under "Windows Logs" (or look under "Summary of Administrative Events--> Event Type--> Critical)... double click the specific error so it opens in the Summary Page Events window. Next click on Copy--> Copy Details as Text in the RH pane, and paste the contents of the ClipBoard in this thread.

Back