• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damn **** Q8200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChadKuijlaars

Registered
I am so lost with my freakking Cpu or mobo or ram XD. I tried everything to get it up to 2,81 or higher but nothing works?? :S I tried setting the ram timing to 5/5/5/15/24 but it just wont change to it. Cpu-z shows its at 5/7/7/20/32 same for the Ntune. It just wont change xD and i think that is the reason i can't get higher with overclocking. any1 has a solution to change the timing permanent

What is it doing, BSOD? What are your system specs? What type of ram? FSB and multi your using? You gotta be more specific if somone is going to help you.

I saw in your last post that you haven't messed with other voltages yet. Try upping your North Bridge voltage. You may have to look at your Motherboard Guide because it could be called something else. Try raising it to 1.3-1.4. That will probably help you.

Last edited:
Motherboard XFX 780i SLI

CPU Q8200 - @2,80Ghz
Multi = 7, FSB = 1600, Mhz 400 Speed 2800Mhz

RAM OCZ Platinum Dual Channel Kit - Geheugen - 4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB ) - DIMM 240-pins - DDR2 - 1066 MHz / PC2-8500 - CL5 - 2.1 V
MY SPEED : 400Mhz!
(http://www.azerty.nl/producten/product_detail/?ID=76907)

So it wont change the timings :S atleast i filled it in manually but it just wont take effect !

2x 8800GTS 640MB

SCREENSHOT bios,CPU-Z,Speedfan,Realtemp

Last edited:
You are going to have problems ocing the Q8200. They don't clock all that well and require insane amounts of voltage to clock at all.

You would've had better luck with a Q6600 than a Q8200.

Can't change it anymore but anyway i was on 3,33Ghz like 3days ago but got blue screens so i reset it all xD but now i dont know how i go there exactly

Have you flashed the board to the latest bios? Sometimes new bios file has fixes for quads.

Another try is to overclock slowly and work your way up. Try going back to 2.8Ghz where you was at last and run it for a few days, then try raising the FSB by 3's. You want to try to keep your voltage under 1.4v and see where the chip tops out. Maybe the max on that chip is 3.0Ghz?

I have 2 ram sticks installed the thing is when i fill in 1603 FSB 'in other words 2,81Ghz it will start up my computer and then when it loaded vista and it says Welcome then after that when it starts loading programs it just stucks xD. Some guy said to me i have to put my vcore to 1,75/1.8 thats alot right? thats the max i can choose in my Bios!

and yes i just updated it today ;) to be sure

And I can run 2,80Ghz without chaning anything just raising the FSB from the CPU

I tried everthing now high voltages everything. It just has to do with the Ram timing but it won't change

Dam 1.75, 1.8v to the cpu? Who the hell told you that? He's out of his mind :rolleyes: Not even ppl that use LN2 ramp the cpu voltage that high.

Looks like it's either that cpu/ram or board that's giving you that problem. If there was a way to test those components in another pc, that would surely help.

Guess you're at the mercy of 2.8Ghz.

I don't think that you are lost with your CPU....but the motherboard settings.
Try to UNLINKED as shown below.

xm5nw4.jpg

yes the thing is that the ram timings wouldnt change but i think i fixed it now. i reseted the CPU settings and now i start from 1333=2,33Ghz with unlinked 800Mhz = 400Mhz at good ram timings i am working up again now currently at 2,45 will tell you when i pass the 2,80

oke at 3,33 i instant get blue-screen when loading prime95! now i am at 3,28 and i run prime95 for 4 minutes now didnt got blue screen
!but what can i do about the blue-screens? is that the limit or is there a way to avoid?

Like retrogreg suggested, according to the CPU-Z screenshot you posted your RAM is running in single channel mode. The RAM sticks need to be installed to either both blue DIMM slots or both black slots, in order to run in a dual channel configuration.

Like retrogreg suggested, according to the CPU-Z screenshot you posted your RAM is running in single channel mode. The RAM sticks need to be installed to either both blue DIMM slots or both black slots, in order to run in a dual channel configuration.

Ah i did that like 3 hours ago and now i am at 3,25Ghz but when i get blue-screen / prime95 error what is the main thing i need to do? cause i am already running on 1.45V Core
ram is 465Mhz 1;1 5/5/5/15/24/2T

I think your just out of luck with the Q8200. With a x7 multi, your just gonna not be able to hit what a Q6600 can hit. I only run mine up to 422 FSB tops but for me, thats 3.8 ghz but for you it would only be 2.95ghz. Unless you have a really bad *** motherboard, your just not gonna see much higher. Your board probably won't even let you do past 430 w/o blue screening. But it will let you post. Sorry to say, but your going to have to consider the fact you will be limited to 2.8-2.9 for that processor. As somone said before, Q8200 suck for O'cing because of the lower Multi.

780i is a terrible chipset for FSB overclocking. I'd suggest dumping that board and picking up a cheap P45 motherboard.

They don't clock all that well and require insane amounts of voltage to clock at all.

You would've had better luck with a Q6600 than a Q8200.

Is the Q8200 45nm? If it is, then it looks like they don't require insane amounts a Vcore, AFAIK. And the CPU GTL Ref, I dunno.

And a Q6600 is 65 nm, AFAIK, thus, usually requiring 1.4 and maybe higher for the same core clocks.

But, yep, 7 for the multiplier is low and even the E2180 multiplier is higher, at 10.0.

Last edited:
I think your just out of luck with the Q8200. With a x7 multi, your just gonna not be able to hit what a Q6600 can hit. I only run mine up to 422 FSB tops but for me, thats 3.8 ghz but for you it would only be 2.95ghz. Unless you have a really bad *** motherboard, your just not gonna see much higher. Your board probably won't even let you do past 430 w/o blue screening. But it will let you post. Sorry to say, but your going to have to consider the fact you will be limited to 2.8-2.9 for that processor. As somone said before, Q8200 suck for O'cing because of the lower Multi.

Common, we all know what Q6600 can and can't do. It's untrue that Q8200 sucks at overclocking. I have Q8200 currently 3.43GHz stable with only 1.30 Vcore. Yes, the motherboard does matter of how ours oc turned out to be.
By looking at your signature, I would love to see your benchies stable at that speed with Xigmatek at 61c load small FFT P95.......I think that's impossible because I do have Xigmatek S1283V as well.

All ChadKuijlaars needs was to iron out his tricky bios to reach higher speed.

Back