• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My PC hates me......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazytomc

Its me again.... Ive tried a 300Watt power supply with my XP 1700+ and I've disconnected all unnecessary fans, removed expansion cards etc... but I still get lockups, crashes and blue screens. I reckon its either some kind of hardware/software compatibility problem, a bios problem (although I have upgraded successfully to the latest version), or the motherboard/cpu is damaged... Any ideas which it could be? Is there a way I can find out?

Thanks.....

Spec:
Athlon XP 1700+
Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu+
Asus A7M266
256Mb Unbuffered DDR RAM
Generic 300Watt PSU
VooDoo5 5500 64Mb AGP
SB Live! 5.1
:confused:

I also had a problem with an Asus mobo where it would lock-up a lot for no reason. Even trying all new drivers, patches, service packs, bios updates and even different operating systems. None of these solved the problem and in the end i bought an Abit KG7 and my computer hasn't crashed yet. I belive the problem was with the southbridge chip as this controlls the PCI slots and IDE ports and I think it was an IDE problem.

Try downloading some benchmarking soft like Sandra 2002 for Performance test and test each part of the computer at a tine i.e. the HHD then the RAM and so on. If your computer crashed during a certain point the this is proberly the problem.

www.passmark.com Performance test
http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/ Sandra 2002

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back