• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build, what ya think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobinater33

Registered
Ok so this is my first build and did what i could with what i had( post exchange here in korea gave limited options)

AMD Phenom2 940BE (set mulitplier for 3400mhz)
Gigabyte ma790xud4p mobo
Transformer 4 processor cooler
xenon gts 250 1gb/ 754mhz/2200mhz
8 gigs of samsung pc6400
a korean cor3 600w power supply.
zalman fan controller

im planning on swapping the 8 gigs with 4 gigs of ddr2 1033mhz ram now that i found a nice pc shop down in seoul. also change the gts 250 with a radeon hd 4890.

the core idles at 33-37c but under load shoots up to 59c with prime95 so im gonna take the cooler off and melt some sauder into the base and sand it down smooth and reaply the paste.

what would you guys do to optimize this rig with a 500 dollar budget?

btw the wires will be put together alot better i just was anxious to fire her up. the psu would have blocked the cpu cooler fan so i had to cram it down in the bottom with bending slots and using my foot to cram it between there haha.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 171
Nice build. Your temps seem good I wouldn't worry too much about it. My temps on a Phenom II 920 are 45C @ stock, but it is summer in Florida.

Why would you swap 8GB of DDR2-800 for 4GB of DDR2-1033? Capacity is usually more important than speed when it comes to RAM.

What resolution do you game at, and what games do you play?

PSU is blocking CPU fan? Can you rotate the CPU heatsink?

I like to game at 1920x 1280 but on crysis warhead it only likes to play 1280x960 on all enthusiast settings. without gettings white things flying through the screen.

i like playing crysis, COD WAW, and i wanna buy farcry 2 and fallout 3 along with alot of the new titles coming out.

the way the cpu cooler is mounted it only lets it mount with the fans facing vertically. i got a 120mm blowing air in from the top, the two cpu fand are blowing downwars, and the fan in the side is blowing air out while one in the front is sucking in air and the one in the back is blowing out. kinda wierd i know haha

thanks for the reply!

also,i like how the psu is placed because it sucks air out from the bottom near the video card which is a plus.

i was curious if 600w would be able to support 2 HD 4890's ? i may also add another fan controller to the mix considering it can only support 4 fans. believe it or not the thing is pretty damn quiet too, all i can here is the sound of the air movement.

What im opting for is to
switch to a phenom2 955, and dual 4890's.

i was curious if 600w would be able to support 2 HD 4890's ? i may also add another fan controller to the mix considering it can only support 4 fans. believe it or not the thing is pretty damn quiet too, all i can here is the sound of the air movement.

What im opting for is to
switch to a phenom2 955, and dual 4890's.

A single 4890 and 940 should be enough for about any game out there @ 1920x1200. If you need any more performance you can always overclock them as they are both good clockers.

What is the rated current on the 12v rail on that PSU?

from what you said, a single 4890 will hold me over because i really do not want to replace that power supply. it took all my strength to cram that bugger in where its not supposed to be. (hence the gaps up near the cd drive hehe).

the 12v rated output sais 600w. but i dont think thats what your asking. its a psu thats geared towards gaming pc's and is the highest wattage they offer. it was also $160,000won, which is roughly 140 bucks.
http://translate.google.com/transla...m=3&ct=result&prev=/search?q=corensi.co&hl=en

and thanks on the case comments, its a korean case as well bit the only drawback is on the other side it sais in big letters "iCute" haha

I would hold off on getting a second GPU until you can verify the quality of the PSU. Just because it has the ratings doesn't mean it can do it reliably. Try to do some research and see what you can come up on it. Personally I would keep the 8GB's and not downgrade to 4GB.

Heres a shot with the wires redone alittle and the new 4890 installed. (yes i know the cooler is on upside down haha) it was made for a differant mobo im assuming because it would only mount that way so im gonna change it when i feel like it to make the fans face horizontally.

The guy at the shop was sold out of wire tubing so this is what i could do.

Attachments

• computer3 006.JPG
    computer3 006.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 153
a grill with a fan sucking in. i have a shroud for the side window fan but it wont line up with the cpu fan. its wierd because that fan and the one on the side move alot of air but the 2 on front and back and the cpu fans dont feel like there moving much even though there running the same RPMs...

Im beggining to think i should just reverse all the outlet fans and use the 4890 as a single air outlet cuz at full speed that freakin thing moves more air than both the case outlets combines and then some!

its rediculous

a grill with a fan sucking in. i have a shroud for the side window fan but it wont line up with the cpu fan. its wierd because that fan and the one on the side move alot of air but the 2 on front and back and the cpu fans dont feel like there moving much even though there running the same RPMs...

Assuming you have your HSF blowing up I would switch that puppy around to evacuate all that heat.

Back