• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant delete c:\winvista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sn0rKy

I cant delete the winvista folder on my C drive. I had installed Vista, but because of the abundance of bugs i installed XP over it. The winvista folder stay, and wont leave. It says Cannot delete, Access is denied. I have tried MoveonBoot as well as deleting in DOS.

Any help is greatly appreciated as the folder is taking almost 4gigs of space.

Thanks

did you install XP on the same drive, or different drive?

i don't think you can delete system files unless you format.

did you install XP on the same drive, or different drive?

i don't think you can delete system files unless you format.

no, i didnt want to format as i already had alot of stuff on there. im trying to find an alternative before i reformat the partition.

no, i didnt want to format as i already had alot of stuff on there. im trying to find an alternative before i reformat the partition.
hmm...as in program files or personal files?

if you have free space, you could create another partition and move all your important files to there, then format your Vista partition.

or move them onto a portable HDD. or even a USB if you can.
what you're trying to do is like trying to format your OS partition WHILE you're using the OS. i tried that once :bang head:

unless someone else knows a way.

Did you give yourself the proper rights after taking ownership of the folder?

you could also use a linux live CD, boot into linux, and delete the directory.
Or WinPE
or bartPE.

right click and take ownership of the folder.

Did you give yourself the proper rights after taking ownership of the folder?

you could also use a linux live CD, boot into linux, and delete the directory.
Or WinPE
or bartPE.

took ownership and set permissions, then tried to delete in bartPE, still a no go. (Getting Access is denied.)

anything else i should try?

Thank You.

Try running these commands from an administrative command prompt...

takeown /f C:\winvista ...ENTER

cacls C:\winvista /G Sn0rKy:F ...ENTER (substitute your username for Sn0rKy)

If you still can't delete the directory, try running the above commands in safe mode.

Try running these commands from an administrative command prompt...

takeown /f C:\winvista ...ENTER

cacls C:\winvista /G Sn0rKy:F ...ENTER (substitute your username for Sn0rKy)

If you still can't delete the directory, try running the above commands in safe mode.

i believe takeown is a vista command?

and when i do cacls C:\winvista /G Sn0rKy:F from an Administrator account, it says Acess is Denied.

You're in XP, that's right. When you took ownership of the directory, did you also check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" check box? Have you tried deleting the directory from safe mode?

Back