• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BenF

My cat finished off my mouse last night. She thinks my computer is food (tries to eat the fans and the cables). She bit a pretty nice hole in my mouse's cable. If I press on where she bit or try to tape it up I short out my USB (mouse shuts off, headset shuts off, keyboard shuts off, ipod, shuts off etc...) and I need to restart my computer. It also happens randomly too :(

I decided to pick up the steelseries ikari laser. From all the reviews I've read it seems to be an amazing mouse. I'm so excited to have a good mouse again. My old mouse (razer diamondback) really is showing its age.

If you need something to get you by, then just strip the insulation back a bit, find the short and isolate it with tape. Judging from your description, the cat bit at just the right point to shear the insulation of the +5v lead, and it is either contacting the main ground, or one of the data wires. There are only 4 wires in a USB connection, not counting the grounding shield. Very easy fix judging by your explanation.

If you need something to get you by, then just strip the insulation back a bit, find the short and isolate it with tape. Judging from your description, the cat bit at just the right point to shear the insulation of the +5v lead, and it is either contacting the main ground, or one of the data wires. There are only 4 wires in a USB connection, not counting the grounding shield. Very easy fix judging by your explanation.

Thats true...but I've been waiting for an excuse to get a new mouse :)

Cut, snip, solder, your choice of nice heatsrink or electrical tape :)

other than that go for a logitech G5 but if she's that tedious to ruining your mouse cords, you can always go G7

I can't stand wireless mice. I'd be horrible with keeping the thing charged. If I got one I'd get the razer mamba since I could use regular usb too. Thats too much money for me. I have a steelseries ikari lazer on the way. It'll be here on wednesday. My cat is now forbidden in my office so I won't have to worry about it in the furture.

I can't stand wireless mice. I'd be horrible with keeping the thing charged. If I got one I'd get the razer mamba since I could use regular usb too. Thats too much money for me. I have a steelseries ikari lazer on the way. It'll be here on wednesday. My cat is now forbidden in my office so I won't have to worry about it in the furture.

Nice thing about the G7 is that is has 2 battery packs. So when one is drained, you swap the other one from the charger to the mouse. It's niiice.

I've been using a G7 for like 3 years, and it's great. I randomly had issues with my Wifi causing interfearance and have twice had them poop out. They were great up until then, but I decided to take one thing out of the equation and go with a G9 wired mouse. Still waiting for the delivery.

i have a G7 and i love it (i hate wires)
I was never a fan of wires either, but I just hope this one will last longer.

BTW....if you are looking for a good mouse at a good price, Amazon has the Logitech G9 at a pretty nice price. ($56.49 & FREE with Super Saver Shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246977366&sr=8-1

Nice thing about the G7 is that is has 2 battery packs. So when one is drained, you swap the other one from the charger to the mouse. It's niiice.

I've been using a G7 for like 3 years, and it's great. I randomly had issues with my Wifi causing interfearance and have twice had them poop out. They were great up until then, but I decided to take one thing out of the equation and go with a G9 wired mouse. Still waiting for the delivery.

I was never a fan of wires either, but I just hope this one will last longer.

BTW....if you are looking for a good mouse at a good price, Amazon has the Logitech G9 at a pretty nice price. ($56.49 & FREE with Super Saver Shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246977366&sr=8-1

i love my g9

am using an MX1100... tis a sweet mouse. fits my hand perfectly, and is extremely responsive (aside from when I wake it up. takes about half a second to wake up.)

My Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse is 5 years old and kicking like the day it was bought. ($15)

2 of my gaming clan pals have the steelseries ikari optical, both of them coming from a G5. They both seem to agree that the ikari blows it out of the water. Apparently the G5 steals your fps and doesn't track nearly as well. I'm thinking about getting one as soon as I'm not poor any more.

Back