• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i want to upgrade, please, help me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BSH

Registered
i have an abit kt8 mobo, 2x128 pc133 sdram, duron 750, msi gf2ti64mb.
i have low benchmark scores (3dmark2001: 3128), and some games doesn't perform well (rally trophy)
i think the problem shouldn't be the vidcard, but the processor.
now i want to upgrade the processor, but without buying new mobo and ddr rams (i don't have so much money now)
the mobo has a via kt133 chipset, and can't run on 133mhz fsb. so i can't normally use a new athlon or xp, only with 100mhz fsb.
can i unlock the multiplier of these processors, to reach their nominal speeds with 100 mhz and higher multiplier? (for exmaple, can i run an 1.2ghz athlon-c 133mhz on 12x100mhz?)
it would be good, because then i could use the better processor later, when i'll have money to replace the mobo and rams.
if not, can i go with the 100mhz atlon?
and which is faster: a 1.2ghz old athlon with 100mhz fsb, or a new duron 1.2ghz with 100mhz and sse?
the other question is that: should i replace my globalwin fop32 cooler, or should i replace it?
the duron went up to 50°c in the summertime.
what do you suggest? what to buy, what's the best buy in my case?
third question, if anyone has a msi 8855 gf2ti card, please help me, i can't enable the virtual desktop function in the 3d!turbo software, and msi doesn't give any answer to me! :(
thaks for all who help!

i don't want a 1400, because i know the limits of my fop32... :)
well, if i don't have to change it, i'll go with a 1200.
but what's the faster: the new duron with optimizations and sse, or the old athlon with it's 256k cache?

Last edited:
well, that was my question.
can i unlock the 1400c athlon, and run it on 14x100mhz? my abit kt7 board doesn't support 133mhz fsb. maybe i could reach 110-115, but not more.
is the athlon c 1400 running stable with 14x100???
or: can i run a 1400c on 12x100? (just temporarily, until i'll have enough money to buy a better mobo and rams, and a cooler)
:rolleyes:

i can only try it after i bought it. and if it doesn't work? what do i do then?
i want to know, if it's work or not, BEFORE i buy something.
the athlon-b with 100mhz fsb is really rare and expensive today. a 133mhz athlon-c would be cheaper and easier to get, but what, if it doesn't work?
maybe 110mhz is not stable... :(

and nobody answered: can i safely unlock an athlon-c???

Back