• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and Nvidia 7950 GX2; Possible for Quad SLI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xaer8

Hi Guys. I'm quite confused with this.

There seems no thread on any forum saying that Asus P6T Deluxe V2 can support Quad SLI with two Nvidia 7950 GX2 cards. Is it even possible?

Actually i do have these two cards. Runs smoothly (single card mode, not SLI) on my Gigabyte Motherboard with AMD processor.

But now i plan to buy the latest Intel Core i7 920 Quad, together with Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo which i see may support Quad GPU SLI. In order to save cost, i guess this mobo will suit to the existing 7950 GX2 cards. What do you say? Has anybody tried this configuration before?

I have waited for so long for these two cards to perform in Quad SLI mode :cry:

Yeh that mobo supports both crossfire and SLI so you will be fine... as for quad SLI scaling.... apparently it isn't great, but if you have both the cards already you might as well give it a go!!

Post some results and benchmarks when you get it all built... would be interesting to see...

:D

Thanks for the news bro. I'll post some results and benchmarks when its ready.

Anyway, for the drivers part. I already got the old driver that may enable quad sli for this card from nvidia (got it from guru3d). Also for the latest driver from nvidia, they do support quad sli, but i believe it is only for the 9800 GX2 and the GTX 295 series cards in Vista system (if i am not mistaken). Whatever it is, i will figure it out somewhere.

Otherwise, i'll need to re-adjust my budget or sell these cards on ebay. Maybe i'll go for GTX 260 if i had to buy new one. They said it is worth for money.

Anyway, thanks again guys.

sell these cards on ebay
That is absolutely the best option you could do. The 8xxx series that came out after the 7xxx series was a massive upgrade. There is about the same difference between the 8xxx and the 260/280 series GPUs today.

The headaches you will have with quad SLi will be astronomical. Tie in the bad performance and you just have a horrible situation. Do yourself a favor and get a single card configuration that will stomp them (260/280).

Hey guys.

I absolutely understand what you're saying. There is a massive difference in terms of performance between them (GTX series, 8xxx series and 7xxx series).

But currently this is what i have, two 7950 GX2 in my hand. So i need to know if they performs well and make me satisfy if they coupled with suitable motherboard. I am not a hardcore gamer and all i need is smooth and quality graphic. Why should i waste money for new one when i have these two cards.

Let say they are not of what i expected, then i'll go for single GTX 260 which i truly know its performance is proven. Both the 7950 GX2 cards will go to ebay. Hahaha.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll consider your suggestion.

But currently this is what i have, two 7950 GX2 in my hand. So i need to know if they performs well and make me satisfy if they coupled with suitable motherboard. I am not a hardcore gamer and all i need is smooth and quality graphic. Why should i waste money for new one when i have these two cards.
I have already answered this. Quad SLi (and SLi in general) is a pain to work with.

The headaches you will have with quad SLi will be astronomical. Tie in the bad performance and you just have a horrible situation. Do yourself a favor and get a single card configuration that will stomp them (260/280).

The drivers released for that quad SLi (IIRC) were poorly optimized and people often saw a performance decrease when running two of those cards. Add on the performance difference, heat output and power requirements compared to a newer card make them a very poor choice. Please take our advice.

Back