• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues with Notfreds VM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doz

Ok, this is the 2nd time Ive tried to set this up and im about to my wits end :( Its really frustrating!

I cannot get Notfreds VM to work. Here is the issue I run into:

http://members.cox.net/tjgjkt/vm.png

I choose fold64 and thats what I get. Im using Win7 x64. Everyone said it works fine for them in Win7, but I cant get it going :(

Well I automatically let it pickup the 64bit and it does the same thing though (thats what I tried the first time as thats what it said). So aafter the first time, I just tried typing in fold64, still loads the same thing, still gives the same error ;/

Are you actually logging into the VM? I have never actually selected, typed, or logged into the NotFreds VM. I have configured via the Web GUI and monitored the F@H log file via the web GUI or F@H monitoring program.

All that being said, how much RAM do you have dedicated to the VM? Normally you want 768MB - 1GB dedicated to the VM. I have had many errors pop up with NotFreds because I had the RAM set to ~512MB.

I am guessing your trying to fold on both cores?

Yes, ram is set to 1024 (new default). When you open it up, it asks whether to benchmark fold (32/64 on each) and will start automatically in 15 seconds. It does so and then gives me the error.

Do you have your cpu virtualization feature enabled in your BIOS?

Your screenshot shows where VMware gets AFTER it has errored, instead of right AT the time of the error. VMPlayer does run fine with Win7 *if* you have it in the right directories.

It should be something like this:
Code:
[color="LemonChiffon"]
User
  Adak
      AppData
        VM1      << A little terse perhaps, but that's the name I use 
           folding  << the required directory
             folding.vmx (uncompressed file)

Here's how my RAR utility wanted to set it up, however:

User
  Adak
      AppData
        VM1
           folding
[color="Yellow"]              folding  [/color] << Wouldn't run from this second folding sub directory.            
                   folding.vmx (uncompressed file)

So check your BIOS, and check that you've got everything in the right directories.

You may need to uninstall the whole thing, and re-install it, if it's foo-bar'd badly.
[/color]

Last edited:
No, I dont believe I have virtualization tech enabled actually, I will check here in a bit and enable it. I will also put the folding directory under the User category (didnt say that in the setup I was reading :( )

No virtualization enabled, means no VM software can run - period.

Our sticky on this may not be as clear as it could be. It's new - well, VMPlayer for FAH is fairly new, so of course.... Personally, I struggled with it a good deal, and finally had to use another install guide, entirely.

Now, looking back on it, the guide (from PeddlerOfFlesh), was fine, it just used words that I could (and did) mis-construe to mean something else. Some things are just more difficult to describe with text and a few pics.

I'm not sure that putting VMPlayer in the User area is the ONLY way to run it, with Win7. All I know is it's the ONLY way that I could get it to work.

Back