• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Markuk86

hey all! (im useless with computer stuff)

My parents own a chip shop and i live above it. Might sound good, free food! but the heat is kiling my comp! What makes it worse, i have a boiler in my room also, so im sure thats making my room even hotter. In the winter, my room is still boiling.

Anyways when my computer is on, my room heats up even more, heres my spec:

Antec Nine Hundred - Advanced Gaming Case
Corsair 1000W Power Supply Unit
ASUS P5N-D
Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9550 Quad Core 4x2.83GHz 12MB cache
Coolermaster Hyper TX2 Fan

Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz

1TB 7200RPM SATA II
Samsung SH-S203 20x DVD RW LightScribe Black SATA
2 x NVidia GeForce GTX 280 1GB

Got this about a year ago now. At the moment my temps are:

Mobo 58
CPU 57
Core1 55
Core2 53
Core3 58
Core4 50
GPU1 75
GPU1 memory 67
GPU1 ambient 63
GPU1 VRM 55
GPU2 79
GPU2 memory 70
GPU2 ambient 64
GPU2 VRM 56

Sorry i just copied that from Everest. That is all idle.
When i play games or the computer is on for a long time, they all rise between 10-20. I think the highest i noticed my gfx was 85.

I do have 5 fans blowing heat out, which is prob why my room is soo hot
Do these temps seem ok? I have noticed when they get higher, a game i play the gfx will start to 'flicker' Probably happened 2times this week. My old computer couldnt handle the heat and i had problems, which is why i got a new one.

Have you guys got any advice/suggestions for me? Im thinking of getting air con for my room, would that improve the computers temp, or just my rooms temp ;/

thanks again and sorry its a bit nubish! (i do use the computer ALL the time)

Lowering the room temp will help out the computer temps. If its really hot in your place then it will be very difficult to lower the computer temps.

They aren't the best, I idle around 48 with a ambient of around 80 on my q9400, and my gpu (4870) loads at 67 with 65% fan.

Since you aren't running stock heatsink on your CPU, I don't think upgrading again will improve to much, but I don't know how yours performs against others. A little searching on your part on how your heatsink ranks with some of the top end heatsinks might yield something.

For the GPU's, you can always upgrade the heatsinks on them, just make sure you get ones that are SLI compatible.

Try upgrading your case fans to some that push more air, just be warned that they can/will get louder, the more air gets pushed, so a fan controller might be what you need as well. You can also vent your exhaust fans out of a window using dryer duct or something else. That will help keep your ambient down. You say you have 5 fans blowing out, is that literally what is going on, or are some blowing in, and others blowing out?

Your best bet is to lower your ambient temps, counter-act that boiler. And yes, lowering your ambient will lower your whole computer's temps. Be sure all your fans/heatsinks are free of dust and hair as well.

Welcome and post some pics of your computer!

thanks for the replys! Im totally useless with the inside of a computer. The most i've done is put a gfx card in and a ram stick :p the fans are all blowing out. 1 on top 1 at the side, 2 at the front and 1 at the back, all blowing out hot air. I also cleared away dust a few days ago. Would water cooling help me? maybe taking the side panel off? Its not a real problem at the moment as i can still do everything i wanna do, but i know its only a matter of time before something burns out :/

isnt there anything like a comp case with built in air con?:p

thanks again!

Last edited:
Markuk86....You said that all of the fans are blowing out...are you sure? Is this your case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

I don't see a side fan on those cases....a different Antec 900 ?

The front fans should be intakes...side is usually intake...rear is almost always exhaust...top is usually exhaust...and the psu is exhaust.

A case needs a good flow of air into..thru..and out..to effectively get rid of the heat.

Quad cores run hotter than a typical dual core, for example, and two graphics cards are also gonna put out some heat...plus whatever heat is generated by the other components. So...your system is generating a goodly amount of heat...great for a cold room in the Winter time, but not so good in the Summer...above a chip atore...and no a/c.

Yea...get an a/c for your room...easiest way to cool down your system...and yourself as well!

Hmm that looks like my case, but i do have a side fan. and the side doesnt 'swing' open like the one in that url. I did say i was a complete tit when it came to computer stuff, i guessed they was all blowing out, i put my hand over the fan and felt air blowing out :p the front fans actually feel quiet cool/cold. I thought 2gfx would be the nuts, didnt think about the amount of heat they give off. If i touch the back where the gfx are plugged into, its very hot.. as in.. i burn my hand :>

Last edited:
As above make sure not all fans are blowing out as this wont do your temps any good you need a good air flow through your case and as above work at lowering ambient temps in your room, a cold air blower or mini a/c unit blowing directly at your intake would be nice and possibly a tad cheaper than trying to cool your whole room, or move out into your own place :)

thanks for the replys!

What if all the fans are blowing out? Has something gone wrong :s

Here is a real easy and fast way to tell if a fan is either exhaust or intake....take a paper napkin or a tissue and hold it up to the fan...an intake fan will suck it up to the filter/grill, and an exhaust will blow it away...:)

Back