• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 10' of tubing too long?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petreza

Hi,

I plan to setup a simple watercooling rig:

--Radiator-->Video Card Water Block-->CPU-->Pump---><

radiator - dangerden "The Heater Core"
video water block - dangerden "Copper Video Card Cooler "
CPU water block - dangerden "MAZE1C"
Pump - Eheim 1250
tubes - 1/2" ID

video card - All in Wonder Radeon 32MB
CPU - Pentium III 800EB (no overclocking)

I want to get an empty AC chassis and install it outside the window closest to my computer. There I would put my power supply, pump, radiator and fans cooling the radiator. However, by doing so I would have to run 5' tube from the computer case to the AC shassis and 5' back. 10' total and that does not include tubing inside the computer case or the AC chassis.
As you might have already guessed I am doing all this just to eliminate as much noise as possible.

I have two questions:

1. Will having such long tubes decrese the flow rate too much? Please, keep in mind that my computer has a full tower case sitting on the floor so vertically the distance between the lowest tube and the pump might be as much as 3'. (if it matters at all)
2. All components except the video water block will accept 1/2" tubing. The video water block accepts 3/8". I plan to put tube adaptors right before and after the video water block. How much of a negative effect would that design have on the system and is there a way around it?

I would appreciate any help with these two questions. Also, any additional comments or sugestions would be greatly welcome.

The tubing itself won't reduce the flow rate nearly as much as the height of the water column. Keep in mind that your pump will have to lift the weight of the water that 3-foot vertical distance; that's where the real work will come in. The tubing does add some resistance, but over the ten-foot length, the amount is negligible compared to the vertical distance.

Adding a reducer from 1/2 to 3/8 will also increase the resistance. That's an easy look-up-table value. If you need it, I can look it up, but my feeling is that won't be the issue (again, compared to the 3 foot lift).

Anyone else have thoughts?

i got 6ft and i have about half foot left, but thats without the gpu water block, probably a good idea to get like 8ft if its a full tower and a cpu and gpu cooled

Last edited:
I have a Danner Supreme 250gph. My computer is on my desk, and my radiator is under the desk in the basement, hanging under a floor joist.
I would guess about 5-6 foot head height, and 15-20 feet of 3/8 tubing. Everything works great, and my temps never see 30C anymore, cause the old stone basement is nice and cool year round.
Sure my flow is lower, but the lower air temps make up for the flow loss. I don't believe you're setup would suffer near as badly as mine is...Your pump is bigger, and so is the tubing.

Hope this helps ya out. Enjoy the nice cool temps too!

*edit* by the way, I have both cpu and northbridge waterblocks, with a 't' in each line to connect them.

As DeltaSierra said, it's the vertical lift distance that's most important. The Eheim 1250 is rated for 6'7", so if you have only a 3' lift you should be fine.

Diggrr said:
I have a Danner Supreme 250gph. My computer is on my desk, and my radiator is under the desk in the basement, hanging under a floor joist.
I would guess about 5-6 foot head height, and 15-20 feet of 3/8 tubing. Everything works great, and my temps never see 30C anymore, cause the old stone basement is nice and cool year round.
Sure my flow is lower, but the lower air temps make up for the flow loss. I don't believe you're setup would suffer near as badly as mine is...Your pump is bigger, and so is the tubing.

Hope this helps ya out. Enjoy the nice cool temps too!

*edit* by the way, I have both cpu and northbridge waterblocks, with a 't' in each line to connect them.

thats asweet setup :)

Thank you!

Thanks people!

This forum is really great.
I just joined, posted three threds and got 17 answers in few hours. Cool.:)

Actually that might even help you. If you make you flow rate slower, it will give the water more time to cool down when it is in the radiator. So just make sure you are within spec of your pump so that the water don't flow too slow.

By as big a pump as you can afford. I use a 450 with the distance and size of tubing you can can easily cut that in half or more before you even fire it up. With what you are planning to do you might be surprised how much pump it takes to move that much water.
Stay Cool
Pepsi

Back