• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quieting fans down that will live in my case a long time I hope

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MongGrel

Well, think I'm happy with most things, I all ready have these on the way and hope will maybe things a bit toned down and still hit 4Ghz, what ya think.

2 of these on the TRUE

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/no12nf54cfm.html

Rip the two out of the rear of the 1200 put these there

http://www.jab-tech.com/Noctua-NF-S12B-FLX-120mm-Premium-Fan-pr-4440.html

Turn the big guy on top down, then put 5 of these in the HD case's in the front , the NB/RAM, and the side window.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Arctic-Cooling-120mm-PWM-Case-Fan-AF12025-PWM-pr-4412.html

See how it works out I guess.

:beer:

Last edited:
Cut out the factory-punched fan grills on the rear and the side panel, replace with minimal wire grills like these. You would be surprised how much difference it makes. Did you consider getting a fan controller to adjust for low noise levels when you're not under heavy load?

I did the grill thing, it was a huge difference. I was indeed surprised.

Hmmm, was going to just take the grills off the front and side ones and leave the filters covering them, might have to work on removing the rear ones too then.

I'll just mess around with em at first see how it does :)

The 5 Arctic Cools have the daisy chain PWM on them, was going to try that for those 5, then use the attachments or on board for the 4 Noctua's to start off with and play around I guess.

Last edited:
I wouldn't turn the top fan upside-down. You'll be fighting the heat's natural tendency to go up.

But, I guess it can't hurt to try!

Personally, if I were going to spend $20/each on CPU fans I'd go for the 38mm thick ones w/ over 100CFM and a good fan controller to keep them quiet when you don't want the extra power.

i have had yate loons running in my main rig at 6v for ~ 12hrs a day for the past three years without problems... now sleeve bearing fans work good when placed so air flows parallel with the ground (perpindicular to gravity) but when you change its orientation so the axis of the fan is up and down parallel to gravity you will wear the fan out fast.

Well I meant the speed down not the fan itself :) Would be silly to reverse the airflow to top down, it has three speed setting I just meant turn the speed down.

Hmm, well I'll try the SSO Bearings out and see how they do I guess, they do have a 6 year warranty on em. It isn't supposed to be a conventional sleeved bearing according to them at any rate.

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=sso_bearing&lng=en

The 5 Arctic Cools I've just installed, I'd say a big improvement over the stock ones running em on medium vs high there. The PWM feature is pretty nice I can just turn all 5 at once low, medium, or high from the Bios. Low seems too slow, medium works well, high is even a lot more tolerable than it was with the others on high, if I really feel like pushing things to mess around.

The ones for the rear coming tomorrow, might get the CPU cooler fans Saturday then mess around a little I guess.

I doubt I'll change the PSU out just too quiet that down, but think that will be only thing making much racket, have to see how the temps look but stable still atm and a lot quieter.

I still want some kind of filters on the front, might remove the stock filters out of this thing, leave one or two honeycomb's on each of the drive bays, and see what kind of replaceable air duct filter I could make a mount for externally and mount over the three front drive bays and make it look clean, once I get the others in here. Probably would dampen some of the noise from the PSU also. Would eliminate all that opening the case to clean filters these 1200's have, too. Just buy a new filter occasionally like the AC in the house :)

Last edited:
Ghetto 1$ AC filter testing, the wife told me yeah I have one try this out, figured I'd give it a go.

With the new fans on high, it does work exceptionally better than having the stock Antec 1200 filters in there, and mutes things a bit, too :)

Once I get the other 4 fans in here will have to rig something better up.

Now I just need to get my raptor up there a machine gun or some boiling oil on the rampart up there, hehe.

Attachments

• P7150619.JPG
    P7150619.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
That's wonderful, it looks like something i'd do.
I love the dino, too. It's a nice touch.

I cut it down and just let the air hold it on now, and got my CPU fans in and things running relatively quiet and cool now :)

Have to get some AC filter material in black if I can find it and replace it I guess, just to look a bit neater.

It's pretty quietly doing about 68C under load on small ftt's on Prime95, so not too bad for the noise reduction I guess.

While I was at it messing with the side panel, I took out the stock screws and put some 8-32 x 3/8 length I think they were SHCS and washers and nuts in there, fit the holes perfect. 1/2 inchers would have worked I had to leave the back washers off three of em, but the 8-32 is a perfect screw size for the holes at any rate. Looks a bit more industrial and much sturdier. Just remounted everything stock config with different screws in the end I guess. Those plastic caps were pretty cheap.

Attachments

• P7170623.JPG
    P7170623.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 92
  • P7170626.JPG
    P7170626.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 91
  • P7170624.JPG
    P7170624.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 89
  • P7170625.JPG
    P7170625.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
For what it's worth, I replaced the fan in my PSU with that same AC fan you linked to. It failed after a year, I had to rip apart my pc and PSU just to replace it, such a pain.

I've two extra I bought that I originally was going to install in the top rear, so I've spares and they are all easy to get to in this rig I guess.

Seems a pretty decent fan for 7 bucks for just general case usage to me at any rate, and having all 5 hooked up PWM.

These run in a daisy chain off the MOBO, btw. I think the one your speaking of was an older similar looking version, these do not use a PWM controller per say as you've posted in other spots, they daisy chain and have the amplifier circuitry built into the fan for it I believe.

Last edited:
Now it's really quiet, and cools better too :)

I took the top off the PSU, took out the annoying little fan in there, cut it out of the shroud wit some aviation snips.

Then remounted the shroud in there to make the opening still a better airflow and reattached the grill.

Took the case top off the PSU to work, milled out a rectangular opening in the top that the wind tunnel attachment that came with the case would fit into directly over all the heat sinks that I saw on top there from Oklahoma's TPQ850 review.

(had to shim a few gaps with some epoxy and .125 x 3/4 and 1/2 aluminum strips)

That resulted in a removable 120mm fan holder with a filter on top of it mounted directly over the top of the heat sinks in there, with still the exit holes out of the front. Most of it goes directly out the rear though, as the wires slow the front airflow. I would not really now if any is actually exiting the front at the moment I imagine some is with the 120 pushing in from the top. I sealing taped up all the openings around the rear water holes too, then remounted the Sunbeam fan controller there like I used to have it through those with a couple wire ties.

Then I stuck the 120mm MFDB fan off my old Sunbeam cooler on the top.

Results have been very good, pretty frigging quiet compared to what I started with. I pretty much just hear air moving now, and it's not loud.

This thing at least half as loud as it used to be, I venture 1/3 actually, and runs cooler too :)

Actually the PSU fan pulling from the top now my NB and SM temps both seem to have dropped about 7-8C running Prime, it pulls the air out of the bottom rear of the case now. The way it's set up, the graphics card with the Accelero, the RAID card and the Prelude all seem to feed into the downward air flow through it and out, probably the the air from the bottom two HD cages heading that way now from under the GPU.

It doesnt seem to hurt the PSU any, actually it seems to have improved it but that may be because I cleaned it out a bit while I was at it, as the new fan has about about twice the CFM and a lot quieter on full even than that little original fan in the TPQ850.

Anyways, just thought I'd put that in here too, it's really running pretty effeciently and quiet now, I actually had the side off last nite messing the PSU and tempt were rising with it off, is pretty much a closed system now I guess.

Attachments

• P7200629.JPG
    P7200629.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 67
  • P7200630.JPG
    P7200630.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Back