• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

warranties, what would you buy a warranty on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dito

so it's electronic, it's supposed to fail... what components do you recommend buying warranties on?

motherboard?
cpu?
video card?
PSU?
RAM?
SSD/hard drive?

squaretrade seems to have the best warranty prices, but some peripherals have lifetime warranty already and not sure if/what I should cover (hard drives for sure from my experience). any opinions?:confused:

nothing.....

all the manufacture warranties have been plenty... i have been building comps for 6 + years... only ever had to send a cheap dvd burner back for RMA, and just recently two seagate 7200.10 hds. the hds have a 5 yr warranty... the dvd drive failed within the first month so its year long warenty held just fine.

A cellphone is the only thing I carry a warranty on, and thats because I carry it with me wherever I go, and can be rather rough on a 400 dollar phone.

Otherwise, most other electronics warranties you will outlive the usefulness before you replace it.

I just warrantied my Microsoft comfort keyboard and Logitech Trackball a couple days ago. The keyboard was 86 days left on the warranty and the trackball had maybe a year left. The only reason I warrantied the keyboard was because it was getting grody and the keys werent as clicky clicky anymore. The Trackball wasn't as smooth as It used to be. I got both replacments within 3 days, so essentially I will have this keyboard and mouse for 5-7 years before I replace them. A warranty? Lol, I would have felt stupid if I would have bought one. I will only get a warranty/insurance If i intend on breaking it.

I agree that none of those are worth my money for a squaretrade warranty. The manufacturers warranties satisfy me enough with all of them. I DO try to make sure that when I buy parts that I make sure they have decent warranties. This sometimes affects buying one part over another, or buying retail vs. OEM.

Possibly on some other electronics I might consider an extended/secondary warranty. As someone else said, I think a cellphone is a good candidate for the insurance plan they offer for it. I bought a Palm Pre at Best Buy for my 16 year old brother. I got the $10 a month insurance they offer because I'm giving a somewhat fragile device to a 16 year old boy. Definitely worth the peace of mind for $10/mo if he breaks it or drops it in a pool or something.

I haven't yet purchased an HDTV, but when I do, I will probably get an extended warranty on it (we'll see when the time comes)

This all depends, if it covers accidents then I'd proberly get my whole pc coverd.

I would never get a warranty on a Desktop computer (computer parts). Simply because

A. The manufacturer usually gives you pretty a pretty good warranty.
B. From my experiance, 80% of my desktop computer parts have lived more than enough and are still working to this day.

I've only used warrenties a few times....

- HDD really long time ago, was 1 month left on warrenty, got back a bigger drive
- Mouse, battery really started going then quit, 1 month left on warrenty got a better model
- Motherboard, it crapped out got it back no issues.

All have good warrenties on them. 2+ years. And any HDD I get now it has to have at least a 3 year warrenty on it. After 3 years I swap the HDD's for something better in the main system yet still continue using them in another for redundancy/backup purposes.

Mostly nothing is worth it in a PC unless its mobile which it could get damage from dropping or such.

Only thing that will far out live most of the PC is the display thats of any value or that might cost more then most components in the system.

Me never gotten a warranty on any part of my system. The manufacture has treated me good on there warranties not to need an extended warranty which by the time it does probably fail you can't find the information for said item to actually do a warranty repair on it.

If it was up to me, I'd only cover newer laptop if it's the pricier high end range. Just about anything else computer related, the standard warranty are enough, and when they die out of warranty, chances are it's obsolete as well. :D

Back