• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD vs. Intal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I didn't even click the links and I will say as everyone will. This is an apples to oranges comparison. Each brand has its specialties. In the case of Amd and intel, intel wins in raw computing power, while Amd is seen more as a prime/performance winner. In the case of nVidia and Ati, Ati cards may be comparable to nVidia cards in games, but have you ever seen a folding farm with Ati cards? I think not.

... Get ready for a flame thread kgo!

Tech_No_Joe, NEVER post a 'intel vs amd' or 'nvidia vs ati' thread... Please =). It's just asking for trouble.

However to properly answer your question its entirely up to what you do with your system that'll determine which is BEST FOR YOU. The comparison between these two chips is, to be honest, fairly irrelevant. Tri-core gives you the extra core for multithreading applications, but the higher clock (and higher possible OC) on the e8400 makes it better for overall gaming (for now, until games start to utilise more cores properly). Etc etc blah blah

Basically, if all you do is game and do basic web stuff, and you ALREADY HAVE a LGA 775 motherboard, go the e8400. If you DO NOT have a motherboard and you're asking for a brand new build, I highly suggest the AM3 720 instead.

Thats my opinion.

Let Mr. Anand help tell the story:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=83&p2=56

It's not my favorite site for hardware testing, but they do make it incredibly convenient to compare two CPUs side-by-side with most other factors being as equal as they can get.

So, the extra core of the X3 helps it squeak by the E8400 in many multi-core encoding tasks. They split 3D Studio Max tests without one clearly beating the other decisively. For gaming, the Intel squeaks past the PhenTwo by very narrow margins. They're evenly enough matched to decide their raw power as more or less equal. Buy whichever suits your needs better... The AMD is also a few bucks cheaper, enough to maybe buy a guy an extra 4GB of RAM...

does not matter

A true pc enthusiast which make no mistake most of us are, will appreciate both vendors. My main gamming rig is intel, for now, however I am building a second rig which is AMD and Crossfire, and let me tell you how much cheaper the AMD rig is less than half the cost I paid for my intel system just 8 months ago.

I picked up 2 Sapphire 4890 Vapor-x cards for 222 bucks a piece, against the 480 bucks for each of the nvidia gtx-280's I ponyed up back in november 08. Love both the Intel and the AMD. You guys are right Intel and Nvidia are arguably the best, but your going to pay for it, where the AMD and crossfire solution are much more affordable at almost the same power output.

you show me any of your intel or AMD solutions and I would likely be impressed, lots of good solutions and ideas out there!

the fanboys suffer from tunnel vision, they don't understand the beauty of the whole thing.

A true pc enthusiast which make no mistake most of us are, will appreciate both vendors. My main gamming rig is intel, for now, however I am building a second rig which is AMD and Crossfire, and let me tell you how much cheaper the AMD rig is less than half the cost I paid for my intel system just 8 months ago.

I picked up 2 Sapphire 4890 Vapor-x cards for 222 bucks a piece, against the 480 bucks for each of the nvidia gtx-280's I ponyed up back in november 08. Love both the Intel and the AMD. You guys are right Intel and Nvidia are arguably the best, but your going to pay for it, where the AMD and crossfire solution are much more affordable at almost the same power output.

you show me any of your intel or AMD solutions and I would likely be impressed, lots of good solutions and ideas out there!

the fanboys suffer from tunnel vision, they don't understand the beauty of the whole thing.

+10000000

That's how it is and how it should be! =)

Spot on, the reason my current (new as of the weekend) system is AMD is purely down to price and upgradeabillity. If the Core i5's were available right now then I'd probably lean that way but they're not, so right now the PII is the best bang for buck and has an upgrade path. The Core2's do not.

The entire build cost me $1,612 Australian so thats $1,319 American. Cheap as, well, keep in mind prices are higher in Australia.

Lol, Intel have ALWAYS been faster in certain area's. Nothing new there, I see AMD as a value proposition.

The P4 was a much faster chip than the Athlon XP as a matter of fact the fastest P4 was faster than most of todays chips. The preformance was not there but the chip was fast.

The P4 was a much faster chip than the Athlon XP as a matter of fact the fastest P4 was faster than most of todays chips. The preformance was not there but the chip was fast.

In terms of pure clock speed, yes. I meant overall performance, where the X-57/X-60 Generally performed better than the P4 840 and 955 EE's.

Anywho. What was the point of this thread again? Lol. We haven't even heard back from the OP about it...

Yeah I was only talking clock speed. I had a disclaimer " The preformance was not there but the chip was fast.".

Lol yar. Sorry. I'm Skim-reading things these days, too lazy to read them properly. My first read was 'p4 was a much faster chip' end :p. XD

since I use primarily laptops I go for the intel platform for the simple fact that its freakin hard to pair AMD with Nvidia. If ATI cards weren't so ****y in unix based OS' I'd have no problem with them.

My loan desktop is an AMD with intel NVIDIA graphics. Nice and cheap, the core system minus the hard drives went for around $300. I have only budget graphics card in it thought. Still cant beat the price and thats really pretty much what it came down to (45 watt cpu to boot!)

Last edited:
FLAMEWAR.gif

Both have their specialties, either way you get a good cpu though.

Last time i checked, anywhere that AMD and Intel had chips at the same price, AMDs outperformed intels by a small margin.
AMD does not, however, have anything more expensive then $225 for a 955BE, so above that mark it's all Intel. In same areas the 955 can argue with a core i7, but in general cubic dollars means faster processing, as it always has.

I've heard tell that Intel dropped their prices because of this, so they're probably very equal right now.

Back