• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapped my PII 940

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Short_CirktZ

Registered
Holy high edges batman! :freak: I got my GB board back and it works, so I took the Asus one out, popped the CPU out and took a straight edge to it and noticed it had WICKED high edges!

I started with 600gt but all it was really doing was polishing the top.. I'm gonna do my Waterblock too. There's three small dents on the surface.. NO clue how they got there. I'll take it down a little on that one. I'll post that up tomorrow when I start and finish.

First try @ 600gt.
dsc0005cip.jpg

320gt
dsc0011g.jpg

Back to 600gt, and then on to 1000gt.
dsc0017o.jpg

dsc0021aao.jpg

I finished it up with 1000gt, then went to 1500gt. It got almost all of the scratches out of the surface. I'm tired and don't feel it needs any more work. That's what we have CPU paste for, right? LOL

How did it look after the 1500 grit? Really when you lap you should lap the entire surface even if most of it is already flat instead of lapping the high spots to the height of the low spots because a 100% uniform surface will obviously transfer heat better than a 90% uniform surface. But looks pretty good so far! When I got my new chip (720), I decided to void my old chip's (5200+) warranty a little differently. :D.

DSCN1040.jpg

My guess is that the soldering of the lids onto the dies on the Phenom IIs and the subsequent cooling and contracting of the lid is leading to this.

Really when you lap you should lap the entire surface even if most of it is already flat instead of lapping the high spots to the height of the low spots...

He did lap the entire surface...

No personal attacks are allowed on these forums.

-- David

Last edited by a moderator:
Bahaha. Take chill pill dude. I guess the OP and I have different ideas of lapping. Pardon me for mentioning that, but every other people who has lapped has gone until the entire surface was the same shade/ height to ensure the best possible flatness.

Edit: And my parents are divorced so I will ask my mom tonight and my dad tomorrow then I will get back to you *******.

It is the same height... just becuase some plating is left on the copper lid in the center doesn't mean it's not. How many lidded procs have you personally lapped (not seen on a forum, that doesn't count as experience)?

I didn't sand JUST the edges. I sanded the whole top of the processor evenly. More/less I sanded the whole top evenly to where everything was uniform. Granted the color may not be uniform, but there is still material removed from the center.

You can barely start to see some of the copper through the center plating. I lapped it to where I thought was sufficient. I took a straight edge to it and it's flat and uniform enough for me. I put the rig back together last night with my Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H that I've had laying around. I polished the surface of the CPU enough to get the scratches out. -1500gt. It's a mirror finish and it still has like one or two scuffs in it but not deep enough to be a problem or concern. After all, that's what CPU paste is for.

I did my waterblock too.. There were these 3 SMALL dents on the surface and I have NO idea how they got there. Can I fill that in with solder and sand it flush?

About an hour of 320gt. I SWEAR I had pre Lap Pics.. There are three small dents in the center. I didn't think they were that bad, but it's a serious DENT. I don't know if I noticed them when I initially installed it.. I was a drunk back then and have a hard time remembering things. I got them about flush now.
wblap2.jpg

After 1500gt... Final. I'm not worried about the fine swirl marks.. They're not deep enough to be a problem. I used my finger to smooth a small amount of thermal paste on the CPU and a thin film on the Waterblock also... Oh, when I say thin, I mean THIN.. Just enough to color it to where you can't see the copper block.
wblap4.jpg

Last edited:
I find that starting at 150-220 grit is best when lapping. Should shave a fair amount off the total time spent lapping.

Lap job looks good.

In regards to the dents/pits in the water block, I had something similar happen to one of my blocks. It was due to the cheap plating on the retention bracket, a tiny piece of the plating chipped off and landed on the IHS as I was installing the block. Removed the block sometime later to find a nice gouge in the block and a piece of nickle plating embedded in the heat spreader.

Well, the lapping only netted me maybe a 2*c difference on idle and load. Hmmm... I think the dent on the waterblock may be some of the reason. I need a bigger radiator also.. I'm only running a 220 right now, with cheap-o fans.

Back