• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Replacement for EAH3850 video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vondruke

Hello all,

sporadic lurker, first time poster.

So some idiot (me) used WD40 on his EAH3850 Asus Video Card fan, and now the fan is in the process of dieing; as it's slowly slowing down, and in so, should be replaced so i can again start playing games again without reaching temps around 98 degree Celcius. My question is, where can i buy such a replacement fan, or is there a suitable 3rd party fan that is compatible with screw holes and size.... @(44m x 41mm)

if need be, i'm willing to superglue a 92mm fan (the only fan close enough to fit the stock fan) on the heat sink... or is that a stupid move too?

now it's still under warranty till 2011, and I'll probably send it out to get fixed but i am still curious as to whether or not i could fix it myself somehow, instead of waiting the few weeks that i'll be cardless.

thanks.

Take the fan out and see if you can get to the bearing(s), if you can give it a couple drops of either light machine oil (sewing machine oil) if you have it, or good old ATF mercon/dexron, or really any other light oil that doesn't evaporate like wd40 does.
Should make it like new again, it certainly has done wonders for the fans i've done this to.

WD40 is more of a drying agent than an oil, and it is probably drying out the bearings or whatever type of "bearing" that the fan has.

Bob is right....carefully peel off the sticker on one side of the fan hub and the bearing(s) should be accessible. Put a couple of drops of oil there and replace the sticker, which is what keeps the oil from leaking out. Hopefully that will get the fan spinning like it should.

Standard fans don't really put out enough pressure for a long thin heatsink like that, hence their choice of a centrifugal fan.

Standard fans don't really put out enough pressure for a long thin heatsink like that, hence their choice of a centrifugal fan.

ah, well at the speed this thing is moving anything would be better, but I see your point. THANKS!

Back