• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lowering dram then push it back up using FSB ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UdoBlunt

Hi, I'm new to OC'ing and I don't know why but it seemed to me the first thing to do is max out your RAM using FSB en timings (with same CPU speed), then use the multiplier to see how far my CPU is willing to go..

My FSB standard is 200Mhz, DRAM is 533Mhz with timings 7-7-7-16.
If I set my DRAM to 400Mhz my timings change to 6-6-6-15 (set to Auto in BIOS), I figured that then I should just raise the FSB to 400Mhz or as far as it goes and lower multipliers for NB and CPU.
Using this method I've gained a few benchpoints, but I never did a stresstest cause I wasn't sure what I was doing was right. (Raising the FSB to 260Mhz to get my RAM back at 530Mhz).

Maybe what I did is the same as leaving DRAM to 533Mhz and lowering the timings ?

Hello and :welcome: to the forums!

It sounds like you are going in the right direction..push the ram as far as it can go e.g. timings and bus speed and see where it maxes out, then put the mem back to stock and push the cpu by multi, and you should have an idea as to how far you can push it all together...knowing where your mem tops out will allow you to put it just 1 or 2 notches below the unstable point to get the most out of your rig.
I hope I made sense,
Doc

:welcome:

Yes, nailing down one thing at a time and finding good settings then going back and trying the next thing is the way to do it.

A lot of people try adjusting many things at once initially and get frustrated, takes a bit of time to tweak things.

:beer:

I came close to the limit for my RAM, had it stable (6hours memtest86+) at 667Mhz 7-7-7-16-20 1:2 ratio 1,71v or 1,77v (not sure).
Then I wanted to see more CPU speed, stable at 3,6Ghz and was curious bout my NB, I think that's where I overdid it...

I saw screenshots of high NB clocks (2600Mhz) but low HT-links (not quite sure why, sometimes you even have to lower it ?) Anyways, my motherboard won't accept what I set my HT speed to, it's automaticly NB speed till I lower the multiplier in AMD Overdrive.
Somewhere down the line I damaged my motherboard I think...

CPU and RAM are both stable at these speeds, but when gaming or smt my FSB drops ENORMOUSLY. Now running at stock speeds, FSB 200. Drops to 53 is the lowest I've seen, normally it 'just' drops to somewhere round 100Mhz...

I tried to correct by raising NB voltage.. (from 1,1000 to 1,1250) ^^ But no success... Should I try with higher voltage ? I never wen't above 1,1250 for my NB)

I bought this setup for a lanparty in august I'm attending to, I allready have to replace my 3 weeks old motherboard ?

Last edited:
udoblunt, try looking for something called cpu-nb voltage in the bios settings and putting it between 1.25-1.35v. I am running my nb at 3600 and it make a heck of a lot of difference even at low memory speeds. I am sitting on 2600 nb speed with 1.3375 v. Also you can raise the nb (chipset to something like 1.25-1.3 if needed to help stability if raising the reference clock substantially above 200 to help stabilize memory). I also have been told that raising trfc helps alot try that and see what it does.

Back