• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question – Regarding a case and a power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DisTanT9

I currently own a CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V power supply, which happens to have a fan on the bottom of it

thumb_corsair_tx750_04.jpg

I would like to use it in a new computer that I plan on building.
My question is: Would it be okay if I used this power supply in a case where it was mounted on the bottom, as opposed to the top. A case such as the Antec P183

p183_back__88610.jpg

or the Cooler Master ATCS840

RC-840_Backside.jpg

I’m concerned that it won’t properly ventilate. Could/should I mount the power supply upside down so that the fan faces upward? Or, is that a horrible idea?

Last edited:
If you're on hardwood / tile, it's no problem as long as the feet remain in place on the case. If you are on carpet, I'd suggest elevating it a little bit. I've got mine sitting on 3/4" slats on carpet. and it's never had a problem at all.

Just flip it upside down. Thats what I did in my Antec 1200. I found when mounting it fan down on the bottom of the case and having a 1/2" of space between the PSU and base of the case made it ran unneccesarily warm so I flipped it upside down, problem solved.

Unless Im misunderstanding hokie, which is entreily possible, that method would be applicable only if the case had a hole in the bottom of it.........right? And if thats correct, does the case you mention have that hole?

EDIT: Yes it does have a hole in the bottom!

Actually, I didn't look at the P183. My RC690 has vent holes outside the bottom of the case. The P183 actually elevates the PSU and it draws air from inside the case. No elevation needed on that one, even on carpet. The ACTS would need elevation though, it's got a fan filter, then outside case ventilation.

Mounting your PSU to face downward is how it's designed in the ATCS 840. You get air coming in from OUTSIDE the case meaning no temp change from the PC itself. Your PSU is in effect a closed system on it's own. Also doesn't detract from your case pressure.

Mounting your PSU to face downward is how it's designed in the ATCS 840. You get air coming in from OUTSIDE the case meaning no temp change from the PC itself. Your PSU is in effect a closed system on it's own. Also doesn't detract from your case pressure.

Does this mean that I wouldn't need to elevate the ATCS 840? And that I could just mount my PSU normally with the fan facing downward?
If so then I guess I wouldn't have to elevate either of these cases. . .

Does this mean that I wouldn't need to elevate the ATCS 840? And that I could just mount my PSU normally with the fan facing downward?
If so then I guess I wouldn't have to elevate either of these cases. . .

I set mine on my desk. You don't have to do anything out of the normal. I don't understand why it's so confusing for you.

:shrug:

Install the PSU and then install the PC, and run it on your desk or something. I'd run it on a flat surface and not carpet ...

Back