• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3 or AM2+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jgv115

What is the difference between them 2? In the future, do you think the new AMD CPU's can be used on an AM2+ motherboard?

AM3 has support for DDR3 memory. AM3 CPUs are made to be backward-compatible with Socket AM2+, and depending on motherboard vendor, Socket AM2.

Alright so basically AM3 ONLY supports AM3 cpu's and it has DDR3.

AMD2+ supports all AM2 and AM3 CPUs but with DDR2?

Do you think in the future, the new AM3 CPU's will be backwards compatible with AM2+ motherboards?

They will be, yes. If the future CPUs aren't, they will simply use another socket name instead of AM3. So the question you really should ask is: will the future CPU be compatible with my AM2+ board and the answer to that is "no one knows".

In the future? They already have the option to run on MOST am2+ boards AFTER bios updates.

If you're looking at a new CPU/system, just go AM3 with 4gb ddr3 and such now.. I can't justify recommending a new system with a AM2+ backing.

In the future? They already have the option to run on MOST am2+ boards AFTER bios updates.

If you're looking at a new CPU/system, just go AM3 with 4gb ddr3 and such now.. I can't justify recommending a new system with a AM2+ backing.

X2
all the new amd cpu's are going to be am3
my next mobo will be am2 am2+ and am3 so i can slowly upgrade

X2
all the new amd cpu's are going to be am3
my next mobo will be am2 am2+ and am3 so i can slowly upgrade

Why? Why not just save up some more, and bulk it with a mobo/cpu/ram combo, or combo of something via newegg assuming you're in US. I'm very bad when it comes to upgrades myself, I'll change a piece here, a piece there, when I could've saved a lot of money and just bought it all there and be done with it.. But spare parts are fun :p. When I get rid of this mobo/ram it'll go nicely with my old 6400+, =D. Add in my 8500GT sittin around doin nothin, and you got a low-end gaming machine haha. :p. Might grab a 150 dollar (AUD) card sometime, like a 9600gt hmm. :p

Stick with AM3. The boards are comparable in price and the prices of DDR3 have dropped to where you can get some decent 1333 for only about $15-$20 more than DDR2. For the headaches you will save yourself later I would spend the little extra now and be done with it.

Why? Why not just save up some more, and bulk it with a mobo/cpu/ram combo, or combo of something via newegg assuming you're in US. I'm very bad when it comes to upgrades myself, I'll change a piece here, a piece there, when I could've saved a lot of money and just bought it all there and be done with it.. But spare parts are fun :p. When I get rid of this mobo/ram it'll go nicely with my old 6400+, =D. Add in my 8500GT sittin around doin nothin, and you got a low-end gaming machine haha. :p. Might grab a 150 dollar (AUD) card sometime, like a 9600gt hmm. :p

well ill be going to a am2+ sometime in the future and ill prolly have that for about 2 years then ill get a am3 when its outdated and then the new stuff its a full proof plan to always have a reason to upgrade lol
helps to make this hobby not boring

Alright I just noticed a few Gigabyte motherboards.

One of them has SB750 and another one has SB710.

Does anyone know the difference? The SB710 one is significantly cheaper.

SB = South bridge, and the number is the chipset, where 710 is older and has less, and the 750 newer and has more, naturally :p. Hence the price difference.

Back