• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running memory to spec but fails Prime95, pls help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

92GTA

Registered
My system specs are in my sig. I do not have anything CPU related OC'd right now and I am only running my memory to Mushkin and Asus specs. When I first put the system together, the memory ran at the following without touching any settings anywhere:

DRAM Frequency: 535.1MHz
7-7-7-20-27

Then I bumped up the settings precisely to Mushkins specs and they are now:

DRAM Frequency: 802.7MHz
7-7-6-18-24
DRAM Voltage: 1.84

Technically Mushkin said my DRAM v should be 1.850 but the BIOS only has settings for 1.84 or 1.86 so I went with 1.84 to be on the safe side I thought.

My system *seems* to run just fine, I can even run all of the SiS benchmarks without any issues. The only issue I saw was that I got a BSOD with the new DRAM settings running the Cache/Memory Bandwidth SiS benchmark but I ran it multiple times after and got no repeatable BSOD.

I am however getting a fatal error when I run Prime95 for less than a minute lol! I of course ran all of the SiS benchmarks and Prime95 for quite awhile to get baseline readings on my new system and max load/idle temps and such. Rock solid during all of those, not a single glitch before.

This is the first time I have ever messed with memory settings. Am I missing something else that I should have changed in the BIOS settings?!

Thanks!

I just set all of the memory settings back to auto in the BIOS and I'm going to let Prime95 run nonstop over the weekend to burn everything in before trying it again...

I did leave the memory timing alone, they seemed close enough to the auto timings and Prime95 is running just fine.

I'm thinking maybe it was not enough DRAM voltage or maybe too much heat? Everything seems nice and cool though. I'm thinking maybe another settings like for the chipset or something I should tweak too that I overlooked...

there are two options i know of on asus boards that seem to do nothing but BSOD.
im not shure why but disabling these will help OC, one is "static read control" and the other is "read training" those two really dont do any good.

Last edited:
I didn't touch either of those.

I just finished running Prime95 with everything stock for over 13 hours with no errors or warnings. How many days of this does it take until I can consider everything burned in?

I want to sort out any issues my system has with running the memory up to spec before I make any other changes to OC the processor.

Here are the before and after stats and benchmarks from when I did up my memory and ran into the issue:

Totally stock w/Cool n' Quiet Enabled

Core Speed: 3210.8MHz
Multiplier: x16.0
Bus Speed: 200.7
HT Link/NB Frequency: 2006.8

DRAM Frequency: 535.1MHz
FSB:DRAM: 3.8
7-7-7-20-27

House: 70 F

CPU Idle: 36 C @ 3358/75 RPM
MB Idle: 36 C @ 2678 RPM
CPU Max Load: 48 C
MB Max Load: 37 C

SiS:

Aggregate Arithmetic Performance: 38.6GOPS
Aggregate Multi-Media Performance: 119.36MPixel/s
Inter-Core Bandwidth: 4.47GB/s
RAID-0 Read Performance: 123.86MB/s
Aggregate Memory Performance: 11GB/s
Memory Latency: 87ns
Cache/Memory Bandwidth: 46.76GB/s

--------------------------------------

RAM set to Asus and Mushkin Max Specs:

DRAM Frequency: 802.7MHz
FSB:DRAM: 1:4
7-7-6-18-24
DRAM Voltage: 1.84

CPU Max Load: 50 C

SiS:

Aggregate Arithmetic Performance: 42.0GOPS
Aggregate Multi-Media Performance: 119.87MPixel/s
Inter-Core Bandwidth: 4.65GB/s
RAID-0 Read Performance: 112.57MB/s
Aggregate Memory Performance: 12.37GB/s
Memory Latency: 74ns
Cache/Memory Bandwidth: 50.8GB/s

Very decent improvement IMO. I'd really like to figure out the stability thing now.

Last edited:
Back