• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 new AMD procs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

netmask

AMD launched already in Greece a new athlon II the 245 clocked at 2.9G. The 245 comes with the same specs as the 250 and with a TDP of 65W (tho that's not confirmed). Apart of the low budget product, AMD will release it's next flagship the Phenom II x4 965 clocked at 3.4G. The same goes here with specs and pricing is rumored to be around the 955.

As much as i like AMD striking back and all.. Arent those chips somewhat pointless? Why have them so closely clocked together.. I don't see the need to produce so many 'extra' chips, that are, at stock, almost the exact same as each other, and OC to around the same percentage of the original anyway? It's all a bit silly to me.. But that's marketing I suppose. :\

As much as i like AMD striking back and all.. Arent those chips somewhat pointless? Why have them so closely clocked together.. I don't see the need to produce so many 'extra' chips, that are, at stock, almost the exact same as each other, and OC to around the same percentage of the original anyway? It's all a bit silly to me.. But that's marketing I suppose. :\

Ohhh tell me about it! I mentioned this a while ago before the 250 and 550 came out. I honestly think they could have used just the 250, 550 and maybe another one or two chips as the lower end of the price range, but that's just me.

I just want a BlackEdition regor :cry:

Processor needs to fit a thermal spec it might not meat that spec at 3.0 GHz but will meat it at 2.7GHz etc , not always the case tho sometimes it is just filling market demand . A 45 watt regor clocked at 3 GHz would be something interesting to see as well .

Last edited:
I just want a BlackEdition regor :cry:

Processor needs to fit a thermal spec it might not meat that spec at 3.0 GHz but will meat it at 2.7GHz etc , not always the case tho sometimes it is just filling market demand . A 45 watt regor clocked at 3 GHz would be something interesting to see as well .

Check out the 905e. I will have a review up at [URL="http://www.techreaction.net/2009/07/20/phenom-ii-905e-a-new-breed-turning-the-htpc-to-the-hepc/"]tR[/URL] later this week.

Last edited:

You have to consider the fact that only a very very small portion of the CPU market is made up of Overclockers. To the average joe, who doesn't even know what a BIOS is, BUYING extra CPU speed makes perfect sense in their mind. They're simply adding stepping stones for the users that want to upgrade. I'd say their market is working wonders right now. If you have 2 CPU's $75 and $150, the difference is very distinct, and people will most certainly be drawn to the cheaper of the 2. But if you throw in some 'stepping stones' $75, $90, $115, $135, $150; the line blurs, and people start to talk themselves into buying a more expensive chip. "Oh... well I can get an upgrade for only $15 more... ok"
... Then there is the chance occasion, they come here and find out... they're all the same chip :)

You have to consider the fact that only a very very small portion of the CPU market is made up of Overclockers. To the average joe, who doesn't even know what a BIOS is, BUYING extra CPU speed makes perfect sense in their mind. They're simply adding stepping stones for the users that want to upgrade. I'd say their market is working wonders right now. If you have 2 CPU's $75 and $150, the difference is very distinct, and people will most certainly be drawn to the cheaper of the 2. But if you throw in some 'stepping stones' $75, $90, $115, $135, $150; the line blurs, and people start to talk themselves into buying a more expensive chip. "Oh... well I can get an upgrade for only $15 more... ok"
... Then there is the chance occasion, they come here and find out... they're all the same chip :)

Honestly didn't think about it that way, makes perfect sense I guess, I'm just not used to thinking from the mind of the average joe.. Silly computer-illiterates :p. I have to try enough with my father to dumb down the tech for him... ><. And whenever I try to teach him something, he either a, gets impatient, b, forgets anyway, or c, I get impatient lol. :p

I have to try enough with my father to dumb down the tech for him... ><. And whenever I try to teach him something, he either a, gets impatient, b, forgets anyway, or c, I get impatient lol. :p

LMAO, isn't that how it always is? My dad uses his computer alot, but his memory sucks. So, he writes down what I show him, step by step. He has a whole book of how to do stuff.

growing processors

The question was asked why so many different flavors of a dual core in a 2.7-3.0 ghz range???

well one thing you got to understand is when Intel or AMD grows a batch of processor chips, for some reason maybe the grade of material I'm guessing?

Two identical chips when tested will operate at different frequencies, so 1 chip may run at 3.0 ghz stable after being stressed to 3.4 to 3.8 ghz and another chip grown exactly the same, with the same transitor count and design will bench in at 2.8 or 2.9 ghz and maybe stress at 3.3 to 3.5 or 6, and in those catagorizations processes your grades of chips are packaged and priced.

and with AMD that is what we are seeing with these different revisions that are releasing to the market. Also some chips have minor modifications and tweaks as well, I am not saying thats not the case.

Then let's mention that a 240 and a 235 is also planned, clocked at 2800 and 2700Mhz.
^What I'm waiting for, since Regor UVs extremely well with lower power than the K8 EE at the same voltage/clocks with equivalent price.

Back