• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is Nvidia "Quadro"???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grishenko45

Just wondered what benefits a Quadro card would give a PC??

Are they just for dual Monitors??

They're geared for workstation applications, software like CAD or Solidworks or Catia etc. Basically engineering/design applications take advantage of quadro GPUs (or ATI's FireGL)

Just wondered what benefits a Quadro card would give a PC??

Are they just for dual Monitors??

For gaming? Absolutely no gains :p. But for workstation purposes in CAD software and such, they basically eat 50 'gaming' cards for breakfast every morning. :p. They're designed specifically to take over the processing of the CPU and put it on the GPU for applications that take advantage of it, where the GPU becomes far better at 'crunching numbers' (or whatever it may be for the situation) than the CPU. That's my understanding of it anyway.

They also cost a buttload more, especially for the higher models, looking at numbers in the thousands, if not more :\.

so they're rubbish @ playing games, but mint at taking stress off the cpu on massive CAD programs and engineering programs.....if thats what your saying

cheers you 2

so they're rubbish @ playing games, but mint at taking stress off the cpu on massive CAD programs and engineering programs.....if thats what your saying

cheers you 2

Not only that, but some CAD programs will check for a workstation class card (Quadro or FireGL) and will not run if one is not installed.

It used to be possible to softmod some Geforce series cards to the Quadro equivalent, does that work with the modern generations?

It used to be possible to softmod some Geforce series cards to the Quadro equivalent, does that work with the modern generations?

not sure, but i do remember something about radeon 9500/9700's being modded to their FireGL equivalents, but I don't think it's possible anymore, the architecture's changed.

Some G80's could be soft modded. I havent seen anything about GT200 though.

You are paying for drivers and better color basically.

They're designed specifically to take over the processing of the CPU and put it on the GPU for applications that take advantage of it, where the GPU becomes far better at 'crunching numbers' (or whatever it may be for the situation) than the CPU. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Not it at all... Quadros have a different firmware designed to give full compliance to OpenGL as well as enable CAD and DCC specific features.

Some G80's could be soft modded. I havent seen anything about GT200 though.

You are paying for drivers and better color basically.

very very refined drivers, sometimes far more ram as well that the gamer cards dont have (some card i think now have 4G of ram on them)

That would do some serious crunching for f@h or seti. 16 GPU's total if you get 4 quads in a single board. AC required even if you live in the Antarctic.

The 4 quads would probably need a minimum 800w power alone.

That would do some serious crunching for f@h or seti. 16 GPU's total if you get 4 quads in a single board. AC required even if you live in the Antarctic.

The 4 quads would probably need a minimum 800w power alone.

It's Quadro...not quad. They aren't quad-core's. And I don't even think they have a dual-GPU Quadro out.

It's a max of 4 GPU's if you put them in a mobo w/ 4 PCIe16 slots. 8 GPUs if you use GTX295's, but SLI wouldn't work...great for folding, though.

And remember, GPU's are not CPU's. We already have 240-core and 800-core GPU's. No need to go back to 4-cored GPU's. ;)

Back