• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux flavored admins and programming languages.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

michta35

Hey all,

Just wanted to get some input on various languages that are still most used by linux type admins such as Redhat and others. Currently, I been hard at work learning Perl(still long ways to go) as I was told that it is a language that is good to know for a system admin. However, I've also been told that it is used less as Ruby and Python take more of the workload as time goes on.

Is this true and can those that have the experience guide me in the right direction. I truely enjoy Perl, but find that some of it such as CGI scripting is less useful then other areas of Perl for what I am after and that is to be well versed in setting up an enterprise server along with all it's great tools and abilities.

For admins, they use scripting languages (for faster prototyping and no compilation). Perl, Python, bash script are all common choices. There's nothing wrong with Perl. CGI scripting can be done in any language (even in C!), and that's really nothing much to do with system admining.

I work in hosting as a linux tech, I always find the term system admin means different things to different people.
Perl is something I personally associate more with being a developer as It widely used for CGI, the things i notice being used more by the guys in my team is generally bash and python.

There is a old admin saying, if you do something more than twice script it.
A good admin is one that looks likes hes doing nothing, because everything is scripted.

im just not aware of anyone sharing scripts or apps written in perl around my team or company, im not sure what that suggests or why this is

I've always felt that bash scripting is much more useful for sysadmins than anything else. I'm horrible at it... I usually just find someone else's scripts and hack them to fit my needs.
Don't be like me. ;)
Perl is useful but overall it's just easier/simpler to use your shell.

I work for a 3d movie company (as an assistant sysadmin) with CentOS as the main thing going on there.
I personally use bash quite heavily both of my bosses use perl and bash in combination. Particularly if they need to do things remotely. Since I live close by I dont do anything remotely myself so for the time being bash gets me by

Perl has been going very slowly. Some things I can't get my head around still, but I keep at it. I also picked up a small reference book from O'reilly on GREP and learned alot from that so far. Any suggestions as to practicing setting up email on centOS while on comcast cable(This creates and issue when trying to emulate an email setup in a server environment at least when I tried it.)

I took it upon myself to learn Python and I've found that it's payed me back in spades. Using python I can not only code methods to monitor and maintain my servers, but I can also code GUI front ends for users. It's 100% cross platform and the Tk/GTK API's are so robust that there really isin't a limit to what can be accomplished. Python can be used as a CGI script just as easily as it can be used as a stand alone application or an applet. Not to mention it's an object oriented language. So your getting a huge bang for your buck if you have at least a firm grounding in python. It's my silver bullet for most of my trickiest problems.

Yea, I've heard alot from both the perl and python camps so I am decided that I will continue with my perl until I have at least a decent grasp of gluing modules etc then moving into Python to learn it a bit more thoroughly then I plan on learning perl.

Back