• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is better cpu water cooling or regular fan with heat sink ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mperreal

There's a lot of water cooling products around but I'm not sure if water cooling is better or can be a problem when the system leaks.

Like that one guys sig says, 384 WC PCs and 0 leaks.

If done right, you shouldn't have to worry about leaks.

"If done right" is the operable phrase. Water cooling CAN bite you in the arse if you aren't VERY careful. The trick in my experience is not to get cocky, utilize advancing technology when available and inspect your loop from time to time.

There's a lot of water cooling products around but I'm not sure if water cooling is better
or can be a problem when the system leaks.

Depends on how you define better, if you mean running cooler or quieter or looking snazzier, then yes.
If it leaks, it is a problem, loose water and PCs don't mix well.

I lost a video card to mouse **** once, stupid mouse just HAD to leak while in the computer :p

Depends on how you define better, if you mean running cooler or quieter or looking snazzier, then yes.
If it leaks, it is a problem, loose water and PCs don't mix well.

I lost a video card to mouse **** once, stupid mouse just HAD to leak while in the computer :p

+1, Air cooling is nice and they now have a lot of good coolers out there but they are still limited. Pending on what you are doing with your system ( Over Clocking, etc. ) that would determine what you would use to cool your system. If you are trying for that high OC, then water is the way to go. If you only have a slight OC or none at all then I would just go with a good air cooler and not worry about the water.

I largely agree, though it depends on the cpu and what you call a slight oc. I can get a 66% OC on my e5200 with the stock cooler(at 65*c...), it'll be at totally decent temps with a decent HSF too.
But that is a low wattage cpu, if i had a quad core(or even a core2duo, really) i wouldn't be able to go nearly as far on air.

I like watercooling for it's main benefit IMHO, the ability to move the heat elsewhere. My water cooling is external, so my case can remain compact and uncluttered. I've had radiators in my basement also...darn sure can't do that on air cooling.

The second great advantage is the unlimited size of the heatsink...an air cooler is stuck on the cpu, and you deal with the size restrictions in that zone. Because of the first benefit, you can have a 'sink (radiator) any size you'd like with only self imposed restrictions (like if you want it in the case, or if you don't want to move drive cages etc..). I have used truck radiators that absolutely dwarf a TRUE in heat capacity and size and number of dead quiet fans.

Leaks are always possible, but taking care when building pays well....engage the brain before the hands.
Water cooling isn't for everyone, and in fact I swap to an air cooler when I travel for convenience, it takes 4 minutes, so I can leave my external cooler at home. There are benefits to water cooling that cannot be accomplished any other way.

Last edited:
Watercooling done right will give you much better temps when pushing a CPU hard.

It comes with two drawbacks. The watercooling solution done right will set you back about twice if not more money. The second is complexity. It's not that hard but care and knowledge takes care of any issues.

Watercooling is better! Ive had many experiences with regular fans making so much noise while cooling my processor. GRR, Thermaltake volcano being one of the worst products ever.

In addition to it being quieter....the results are definitely apparent. I live in the desert where summers get up to 110 degrees F. You can just imagine how hot a desktop can get...especially when you're on the second floor and running an AMD processor where all the heat builds up haha. Long story short....Fans couldn't cope with the heat...water always cooled my processor no matter how hot it was.

As far as leaks go....test with distilled water. Even if you do have a leak...(As i've had) a few drops on the circuit boards doesn't kill them. Just make sure you use distilled water for a leak test, and ensure that the circuitry is completely dry before you decide to turn it on.

If you really got down into it you could build yourself some high quality heatpipes and build an air cooled heatsink as large as or larger then modern radiators, but it'd take some work.
Water cooling these days seems like it's relatively easy, you can buy all the parts you need so you don't have to fabricate anything terribly serious. It's mainstream enough that it's getting to be like the rest of computer work, snap-click-n-go.
I want to try it at some point, but i don't have the cash right now, can't afford to fry anything on accident :p

Like that one guys sig says, 384 WC PCs and 0 leaks.

If done right, you shouldn't have to worry about leaks.

okey thats BS.

Im sorry, EVERY VETERAN in H2O has leaked ONCE. I am guilty for quite many.

The main thing is how you take the leak. 90% of the time if you used the proper coolant, and your eq was clean, a leak wont do anything. Its when the water gets in contact with something conductive, does it become dangerous.

But seriously, if you havent experienced leaks yet, i dont consider you an experienced h2oer.

Leaks happen even to the best of us, Martin, Skinnee, even Nikhsub1 has experienced full blown showers in his system.

okey thats BS.

Im sorry, EVERY VETERAN in H2O has leaked ONCE. I am guilty for quite many.

The main thing is how you take the leak. 90% of the time if you used the proper coolant, and your eq was clean, a leak wont do anything. Its when the water gets in contact with something conductive, does it become dangerous.

But seriously, if you havent experienced leaks yet, i dont consider you an experienced h2oer.

Leaks happen even to the best of us, Martin, Skinnee, even Nikhsub1 has experienced full blown showers in his system.

This would have been PERFECT without the name-dropping! :clap:

well I interpreted it as zero leaks after passing and delivering to clients :shrug:

could at least PM said "guy" to come explain themselves if up for another potential cat fight today #Chuckles#

seems more clawing and shin kickin than information round this place lately #Laughs#

(think ill just pm said "guy" and see if they would like to defend themselves in a pie fight they didnt know they had joined... wont be long #Laughs#)

personal favorite of mine was getting a drop in the usb header and having phantom components identified on the start bar for three hours... was just a spare wc`ed machine. nice to not panic for a change #Chuckles#

my first gtx280 fried within minutes of being water cooled and I never got a drop on it :(

Actually, the closest I've come to a leak was on an old direct die water cooled Palomino...the enamel coating covering one of the surface mount resistors failed and the resistor fried under the torrent of water inside the water block top.
Processor still worked though, so no big. It sounded like frying bacon until I got the system halted.
Never got one part wet, even with the home built blocks we all used to make back in the day.
I know it can happen, but I've not had it happen to me.

would have been nicer to have run it another week and blow up in its nice warranty jacket :-/

no av gave it some thought and despite being quite gifted at not givin a toss, there was nothing nice about any of it... erm except the spare water block maybe #Chuckles#

just goes to show being carefull had bog all to do with luck.

Back